degreaser question

bluewall

Local time
12:42 AM
What do you guys think would be the best way to clean this (by soaking in some sort of solution)?
Bought it used off ebay and it looks pretty gnarly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 11.26.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 11.26.01 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 123
if you got one, a pressure washer would take that right off. otherwise soak it in a tub of gasoline and start scrubbing.

Do not, I repeat "DO NOT" use a degreaser or anything like SuperClean on bare aluminum or it is going to end up a white chalky mess.

Luke butre said, use gas and a stiff plastic brush like a toothbrush. Then spray it down with soap and water. If you have a little gunk left over, take it to a hand car wash and pressure wash it after you have all of the gas residue rinsed off.

How about using mineral spirits? I heard that it is ok for bare aluminums.

How about using mineral spirits? I heard that it is ok for bare aluminums.
Good but can really take a long time to degrease it doesn't have good cutting ability.

He said don't use super clean on aluminum but that's because superclean has sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, in it, that stuff is not good with aluminum.

Use gasoline in moderation with a rag, just run the rag between the slots. It will clean quickly with gas or even acetone. Work outside so you don't set yourself on fire as easily.

as a repair shop, I get a lot of bikes in that have gas I don't trust (smells old or can't tell how much oil is in it), so I dump it in a jug and use fresh fuel to start it

that jug is my degreaser - that stuff & a good parts cleaning brush cleans everything on these bikes

Back