Derringer to Deathstar

Hey folks,
I’m starting to gather components for my first build. My base is a Firmstrong cruiser I got off Craigslist for $15. The frame has a bit of surface rust but in good condition otherwise. Initially, I was going for a Derringer build but the Royal Enfield gas tank is a bit taller than the one they use. My tank looks bulky compared to the Derringer, so I decided to go in a different direction.

Attachments

• 046499B7-02C3-4215-ABBA-776B4D247719.png
    046499B7-02C3-4215-ABBA-776B4D247719.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 602
Where did you get that tank and for how much, I am envious.
I'm loving my suntour xcm30 forks, lots of travel, takes caliper rim or disk brakes, oil/gas shocks and has a 1" steerer. Cost me $90 on fleebay. 10 months 0% issues and 100% praise.
I had a look at those Suntour forks, just out of interest, and I have to agree, those are certainly the best I've seen that are available with a 1" steerer. :)

Where did you get that tank and for how much, I am envious.
I'm loving my suntour xcm30 forks, lots of travel, takes caliper rim or disk brakes, oil/gas shocks and has a 1" steerer. Cost me $90 on fleebay. 10 months 0% issues and 100% praise.
I got the tank off eBay for $180 shipped from India. It wasn’t easy pushing the “buy it now” button.
Sounds like a nice fork you got. I’m considering a Monarch style but would like to get a dual crown. The Retro Ride headset adaptor might help expand my options.

The Retro Ride headset adaptor might help expand my options.
The Retro Ride, if it's good (I don't think I've read any actual reviews of it), and if it fits your frame (apparently there were two different head tube standards) would very greatly increase your options!
Then I would suggest an older (Italian made) Marzocchi Junior T as a suitable dual crown fork. I l don't care for dual crown myself but some of the older Marzocchi forks with open oil bath damping are really good and easily set up for road use. :)
Just got a set of 2001 Marzocchi Bomber Z3 QR20 the other day. :)130mm travel, open oil bath damping like a motorbike, and amazingly good quality stantions: you wouldn't really know they'd been used, let alone 16 years old. Got some lovely wheels with them actually, Hope BULB hubs on Mavic D521 rims, absolute classics. :)

IMG_20180114_082427.jpg IMG_20180114_082636.jpg
IMG_20180114_082257.jpg

My photoshop hack job.
I really hope you end up with a good telescopic fork, that would just be so much more Deathstar. ;)

Any suspension fork will raise the bottom bracket, help level the tank, relax the head angle, and considerably lengthen your wheelbase, which will slow the handling (help high speed stability and reduce twitchiness), should raise the speed at which there is a tendency toward speed wobble. That would be really good when the bike is going three times as fast as the frame was originally designed for. :)

I really hope you end up with a good telescopic fork, that would just be so much more Deathstar. ;)

Any suspension fork will raise the bottom bracket, help level the tank, relax the head angle, and considerably lengthen your wheelbase, which will slow the handling (help high speed stability and reduce twitchiness), should raise the speed at which there is a tendency toward speed wobble. That would be really good when the bike is going three times as fast as the frame was originally designed for. :)
Thanks for the advice. So far I’ve only been able to find RST and one other brand (I can’t remember the name of right now) in 1”. I’m sure it’s the same fork with a different name. I haven’t measured for the Retro Rider yet. I need to get a digital caliper. A short travel dual crown fork would be ideal.

Thanks for the advice. So far I’ve only been able to find RST and one other brand (I can’t remember the name of right now) in 1”. I’m sure it’s the same fork with a different name. I haven’t measured for the Retro Rider yet. I need to get a digital caliper. A short travel dual crown fork would be ideal.
Suntour xcm30 was the other one, Crazy Dan mentioned above.

Short travel forks don't need to be dual crown, so that means most of them even in 1&1/8" are going to be "NRS" forks (not really suspension!) made by Zoom or the like. If you can get an open oil bath (nice old Marzocchi Junior T!) you can add extra oil which makes it "ramp up" and have a very progressive "bottomless" travel. This will effectively shorten the travel, kinda, without it ruining the small bump compliance (very important), and may allow you to move the crowns a little lower on the stantions, so that your ATC (axle to crown height) is not so long.

Ooh I found another 1" option. Picked up another Italian made Marzocchi for "the museum" (my second bedroom) recently, a 1998 Bomber Z3 Light. It has a 1" steerer tube which is replaceable because it's fitted (with a shim) into the 1&1/8" crown which is secured with pinch bolts. It has short (80mm) travel (different years may have 65-100mm travel) and of course it's open bath damping, like a motorcycle! :)
I was thinking about buying a 1&1/8" RST replacement steerer so I can use it on one of my bikes, but idk I might just try to sell it on to a retro MTB enthusiast. In UK unfortunately.
The Z3 Light only cost me £36 including the postage cost and would you believe those stantions are 20 years old? That's (pre 2007) quality. :)
IMG_20180129_200557.jpg IMG_20180129_200334.jpg IMG_20180129_200511.jpg IMG_20180129_174619.jpg
Only problem is it's a Formula Standard disc caliper mount, not International Standard, so it would need adapting to use any modern disc brake.

Back