Describe YOUR Phantom's Self-Destruction

99% of Phantom failures result in shattered and broken pistons. Not many locking up stories have been told that weren't the result of a previous top end failure. The bottom end is no different from any other yd100.
The phantom 85 bottom is is different that the YD100. The connecting rod uses a alrger wristpin bearing. 16mm vs the YD100's 14mm. The cases are different, but can interchange. The YD100 cases are significantly higher quality.

The Phantom 85 motor I've started working on is the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen tbh.
Came to me after it locked up after 5 minutes of run time. Broken ring and chunked piston. Kid had a spare top end sent to him prior.
Quality issues:
Cases didn't align correctly, leaving the mating surface for the jug to be way off. Bolt holes are tri-lobbed, not round. Nothing will line up like this.
Spare piston and rings look fine. Gap may need set
Both cylinders have very chunky exhaust ports - Will get a port job and cleaned up
Crank was 0.015 on run out - WOW I was able to get it to 0.002 run out
Rod will twist a tiny bit, makes the piston rotate in the bore !
YD100 cases to replace the junk Phantom cases
Wristpin bearing was replaced by a Wiseco for an RM 85
Pipe had a big dent - Will build a custom pipe
*Clutch arm will be hardened in order to extend the life span* issues with all motors

The phantom 85 bottom is is different that the YD100. The connecting rod uses a alrger wristpin bearing. 16mm vs the YD100's 14mm. The cases are different, but can interchange. The YD100 cases are significantly higher quality.

The Phantom 85 motor I've started working on is the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen tbh.
Came to me after it locked up after 5 minutes of run time. Broken ring and chunked piston. Kid had a spare top end sent to him prior.
Quality issues:
Cases didn't align correctly, leaving the mating surface for the jug to be way off. Bolt holes are tri-lobbed, not round. Nothing will line up like this.
Both cylinders have very chunky exhaust ports - Will get a port job and cleaned up
*Clutch arm will be hardened in order to extend the life span* issues with all motors
The first series of these motors left alot to be desired...My first P85 was the second rendition of the second generation motor and locked up and seized the top end first, at around 40 miles on the odometer...They replaced the cylinder kit and needle bearing for me right away...Then the bottom end did a massive seize up at around 86 or 88 miles on it...They replaced the entire motor system for me under warranty as well.

I now apparently have the third rendition of the V-2 series and this one had beautiful fit and finish to it as well as the case halves being perfectly aligned to each other...The ports were "finished" and when I checked the piston to ports line-up, whilst still on the bench and hand cranked it, they also aligned perfectly...All went together quite easily this time around and appears to not be having any problems thus far.

I have to agree that the first renditions were junky though, but looks like they are finally making headway with these motors.

Something that alot of folks are not aware of though...These are also motors made by Zeda and the Zeda motors generally have a pretty good reputation over all...ZTMoto actually is another of their trademarked names from Zeda Technology co, LTD, and it looks like they are really trying to improve these little beasties...It's really good the https://bicycle-engines.com honours their warranties with these as they have a six month warranty on all their Zeda motors that they are the USA vendor for and bend over backwards to try to make things right with these beasties.

Quality issues:
Things I know already....(in yellow) The only difference is the rod and there are YD100's that also come with 12mm wrist pin rod ends so it isn't actually that different. I have an entire book on my own Phantom thread here in the forum with this information. The term "preaching to the choir" applies here.

Also most of your problems were ones I also had.

Back