Diagnosing an engine and retuning a carb?

How about a link to one of those videos. You have it all backwards.

Another thing that I did to quiet down the whine of the PK80 was to replace the ball bearings of the clutch basket. There was a lot of slop in the bearing and the clutch gear didn't mesh well with the drive gear. Replacing the cheap ones with high quality 3mm ball bearings made a big difference. The gears meshed much better and ran quieter.

To keep it simple you want a Milk chocolate spark plug like this, if its not milk chocolate you got a problem now if you got a picture of your spark plug i'm sure a dozen of people will tell you the exact thing weather it's rich or lean

View attachment 178554

Ps.. sometimes boobtube isn't the best thing for everything i mean crapberry is on there :p
Let the shame fest begin.

The last one is a picture of what I put in there in the meantime.

So just some background. This plug was a fresh plug, did 3 tanks of gas at 24:1 and did my first 32:1 the other day with about 9 miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_212020836.jpg
    IMG_20220806_212020836.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20220806_211947294.jpg
    IMG_20220806_211947294.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20220806_212436234.jpg
    IMG_20220806_212436234.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 104
Let the shame fest begin.

The last one is a picture of what I put in there in the meantime.

So just some background. This plug was a fresh plug, did 3 tanks of gas at 24:1 and did my first 32:1 the other day with about 9 miles on it.
FIrst two pictures you are def rich that plug shows more oil on it then a pimple face teenager

now the 3rd pic if thats a new plug clean it, then put it in the bike, and let the bike run idle for a bit and then ride around quarter throttle take a pic for later this will tell you if you need to move clip up or down

then clean it again this time drive around 1/2 to FULL throttle for a bit this time the plug should show a new sign if its rich then you need to jet

if you don't know weather your lean or rich at each just send pic

First two: Rich and way too much oil, probably due to break in, makes sense.

2nd: Not enough miles / time on it to be able to tell much of anything.

The BBR engine I bought had so much paint around the plug hole that it flaked off and fouled the plug.

The NGK BP6HS plug you are using is a good choice, maybe a little on the hot side. I'm using one with a CNC head because the head can sink away a lot of heat. I'm using a B8HS in the Angle Fire head. During engine break-in I was running a 16:1 mix (super rich). There would always be a puddle of oil on the garage floor, oil dripping from the exhaust pipe. The plug would be oily and black too. When I switched to a 32:1 mix and raised the needle clip up a notch, it was like a different engine. It winds up high and clear sounding while accelerating or climbing.

The BBR engine I bought had so much paint around the plug hole that it flaked off and fouled the plug.
Black or silver? I went with a silver one the second time after reading a thread about paint chips getting into the cylinder. I took my engine apart when I first got it and found metal specks on top of the piston 😳
First two: Rich and way too much oil, probably due to break in, makes sense.

2nd: Not enough miles / time on it to be able to tell much of anything.

Even 24:1 was too much on the break in? I'm now doing 32:1 so I wonder what it will look like now
FIrst two pictures you are def rich that plug shows more oil on it then a pimple face teenager

now the 3rd pic if thats a new plug clean it, then put it in the bike, and let the bike run idle for a bit and then ride around quarter throttle take a pic for later this will tell you if you need to move clip up or down

then clean it again this time drive around 1/2 to FULL throttle for a bit this time the plug should show a new sign if its rich then you need to jet

if you don't know weather your lean or rich at each just send pic

expand...So, I actually moved it to the third position if 1 was the flat end of the needle and 4 was the pointy end. I'm an idiot. I was convinced that lean was running with too much oil and rich was too much gas and I was wrong wrong wrong.

I'm going to move it back down to #2 and do what you said when I wake up tomorrow.

Best way to clean a spark plug or should I leave it as is? The cleaner plug was used for a quarter mile when I was running honestly 12-10:1. I was using an 8oz container of oil and was pouring based on the transparent markings on the side. Rookie mistake, been using a measuring cup ever since.

Back