Diary of My "Moped" build Registration in Florida

No quality control in China, they didn't even pressure test the gas tank.

You can tell by looking at the welds that the guy was a good welder
He would of known to pay attention especially welding the gas tank
I think it was done on purpose by an unhappy worker in China

I can understand if it was a pin hole, But no welder is gonna miss a hole that big by mistake.
And of course as expected BS Berry expects me to patch it. To them it is not a defect... part of the DYI aspect of their kits,.....

And of course as expected BS Berry expects me to patch it. To them it is not a defect... part of the DYI aspect of their kits,...

DIY includes fixing a factory welding defect. (n)
My friend that's a factory defect and should be covered by any warranty you might have. That's if you got a warranty on that frame
Maybe you need to talk with the CEO
Tell them it's gonna cost you at he least $90 to have a welder patch it and you want to be compensated.

DIY includes fixing a factory welding defect. (n)
My friend that's a factory defect and should be covered by any warranty you might have. That's if you got a warranty on that frame
Maybe you need to talk with the CEO
Tell them it's gonna cost you at he least $90 to have a welder patch it and you want to be compensated.
And the time to strip the bike down and put it back together again assuming welding it after it had fuel in it is feasible. Thanks for the encouragement. I have already written a letter to their senior management outlining all of the issues I have had on 3 out of four orders.

I finally took the front wheel off and the tire off the rim an put it on the truing stand. It is so far out of whack including a miss on the joint where the rim is welded together that I doubt a professional shop can get it round. I am taking it in today after I was not able to do much with it myself. Again, that was their solution to shipping me wheels that were so out round I can barely get the bike past 15MPH without it jumping up and down. They sent me a video on how to true a wheel!

Attachments

• BB rim problem.jpg
    BB rim problem.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 147
And the time to strip the bike down and put it back together again assuming welding it after it had fuel in it is feasible. Thanks for the encouragement. I have already written a letter to their senior management outlining all of the issues I have had on 3 out of four orders.

I finally took the front wheel off and the tire off the rim an put it on the truing stand. It is so far out of whack including a miss on the joint where the rim is welded together that I doubt a professional shop can get it round. I am taking it in today after I was not able to do much with it myself. Again, that was their solution to shipping me wheels that were so out round I can barely get the bike past 15MPH without it jumping up and down. They sent me a video on how to true a wheel!

Point a fan at the gas tank filler neck to evaporate any gas and get fumes out

You don't have to take the bike apart to have it welded. A welder can weld that spot with the bike fully assembled.

Welder's have tricks to Welding holes in gas tanks.
The welder might fill the gas tank with water then turn the bike upside down to weld that little hole.
A gas tank full of water won't explode, That's how ya weld a gas tank. I've done it before.
If the welder don't know about this trick tell him about it. Maybe he won't need to put water in the tank, It's his call

I would be totally pissed with that company, Demand that they make it right.

Tell the CEO you want to be compensated for having your wheels trued and frame welded

If your worried about a explosion, the weld technician if any mind to him, will slowing pump in C02 while he is welding frame. The CO2 will make any gas or gas fumes inert.

If your worried about a explosion, the weld technician if any mind to him, will slowing pump in C02 while he is welding frame. The CO2 will make any gas or gas fumes inert.
Wow... you guys are certainly welding experts.. I am a master woodworker but that is one mechanical trade I have not even tried yet let alone mastered like you. Thanks!

I weld on tanks that just had gas in them pretty often. These little tanks just puff and pop now and then. LOL. Now a big tank, no way. The hole on these tanks is large enough to allow any flames though. Not enough oomph to blow it. Oh and welding it, burns the gas out. A win win.

Don't try this at home kids, Im a professional.

Well here is the final blow for now. You may have recalled that my test runs were very bumpy... the bike l bounce up and down over 16 MPH, smoothed a bit at 20 then worse up to the 27 MPH that I ran it. Before I even fired up the motor I told the vendor that the front wheel was warped and also the back as the chain got tight then loose upon rotation. I finally built a truing stand and took the front wheel and the tire off monday and the rim is shaped like an egg! First I tried to tighten some spokes as directed in the many tutorials. Then I realized as I spun the wheel there was a bigger issue. I put the gauge at the back rather than to the rim side and there was almost a 1/4 inch difference in round. It turns out where they welded the rim together, there is a terrible flat spot and the two edges are off parallel by nearly 1/8 inch or more. Took it to pro bike shop to see if they could fix it / evaluate and he just shrugged and said it was not salvageable due tot the terrible joinery on the weld.

Of course the vendor upon notice provided the usual customer service smooge and told me "Tough luck charlie" it is over 5 days since opening box and then over 30 days for warranty.... you lose. Even though I reported it to customer service initially on day 26 he said that the bike shop report did not qualify since the time had passed and I only told them the wheel was warped by observation at day 26. And in that email, they sent me a video on how to true a wheel. I took the rear wheel off tonight and looked it over and put it on the stand and sure enough it is almost just as bad. Same issue at the weld. I was expecting that it was likely in the same batch as the ffront one. So, my only recourse was to open a dispute with American Express based on defective merchandise, not delivered as advertised (not built in motor mount- which by the way is now disclosed on their product description since my complaint). So, I now need to buy two new wheels and from my search not to many places have them in stock.. all sold out or back ordered. I guess it will now be a couple of weeks to get it back on the road again.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 137
Back