Diary of My "Moped" build Registration in Florida

I knew there was another reason I bought my lovely wife her 2022 Land Rover Defender! Packed and ready to head to DMV early tomorrow morning for my bike inspection… almost 60 days in now

Attachments

• E5AB6BCD-2339-46B7-BA9E-CEFC9DDD6CF5.jpeg
    E5AB6BCD-2339-46B7-BA9E-CEFC9DDD6CF5.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 138
Good luck with all the rain throughout the morning....drive carefully, and let us know how it went.👍

In retrospect, the grommets would have been a good idea. I am confident that the clearance and lack of loose wires moving around hopefully should not be an issue. Everything is tied down pretty tight leading up to the connector. One of the reasons I spend so much time on the dedicated wiring harness with waterproof connectors at each end was so it can easily be disconnected front and back and any of the components serviced as needed without having to re-wire the whole bike. There are 7 active components: Tail, break, turn license plate light in the back and Headlight (High and low beam) horn and batter mains connections in the front.

Go back and redo your work, use grommets. Then you can brag about doing a good job

Long day and just a little stress along with anticipation, but it was worth the effort and the prayers... Left the house at 7:00 am and returned at 4:00 pm with a registration, State assigned VIN and license plate in hand...Success! I have a street legal ride in Florida and finished my quest in just under 60 days... now the real fun of tearing it down and making it better now that I can ride it without looking over my shoulder. It was a long process but very doable. I will diary the actual process (outside of building the bike) including the required forms and documentation needed. Thank all of you for your assistance and advice, I has and will continue to be invaluable to my learning experience.

Attachments

• IMG_1672 (1).JPG
    IMG_1672 (1).JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 137
Glad everything went good for you, looking forward to see what your ride morphs into next.

Long day and just a little stress along with anticipation, but it was worth the effort and the prayers... Left the house at 7:00 am and returned at 4:00 pm with a registration, State assigned VIN and license plate in hand...Success! I have a street legal ride in Florida and finished my quest in just under 60 days... now the real fun of tearing it down and making it better now that I can ride it without looking over my shoulder. It was a long process but very doable. I will diary the actual process (outside of building the bike) including the required forms and documentation needed. Thank all of you for your assistance and advice, I has and will continue to be invaluable to my learning experience.
I love happy endings, congrats on a job well done.

The final "2" Steps.
So Off I went to the inspection office of the Florida Regional Dealer Service office that services a 100 mile radius of Southwest Florida. 10: 00 appointment with sever storm warnings for that entire radius. Drove through torrential rain that spawned a tornado behind our location half way there. Upon arrival 30 minutes early to a large parking lot with a small Canopy for protecting the 3 member staff. "We are at least 1 hour behind"(due to the storm that had just passed the previous 30 minutes. Most of the 20 or so folks milling around the parking lot in the drizzle were dealer and private salvage title rebuild inspections (autos and one Motorcycle). We were the only custom build of the day. Our inspection was pretty benign; verifying all of the sworn compliance checklist items and comparison to the previously approved build photos submitted. After a few minutes of the inspector completing the sections of my paperwork submitted and reserved for DMV, he returned to place the Florida assigned ASPT (assembled from parts) VIN sticker on the frame of my bile. Then the 1 hour wait for the clerk back in the office to return with the "secret agent" envelope sealed with tape and stamped "do not open". We were instructed to take this envelope in tact to our local DMV office to obtain registration and our plate (and pay all those fees)

3 hours later after the return 100 mile drive (now clear and sunny thank you very much) I went to my local familiar DMV. After the usual 15 minute efficient wait, a knowledgeable young man proceed to yank my chain by stating in no uncertain terms " I am sorry, we don't to "those" except only on Wednesday... it was too long a day to bust my chops but he got me for a couple of minutes. Little did he know that I was going to be his problem child of the day along with his supervisor... they did not know what they were doing. After 30 minutes of back and forth to the supervisors office to simply issue a registration (not a title) and a license plate, he said the total cost to write my check was $285!!! I said wait a minute Sir... I think we have a problem here. I am not applying for a title and surely a registration and plate can not cost that much... he said the system would not let him issue a registration for a moped without first issuing a title. I told him that clearly the DMV website and their documentation only required a registration. So finally the supervisor came out to his terminal and played around for a while and eventually got it to over ride. New total was $82 which included $38 of sales tax as my motor and frame receipts did not include paying sales tax. I wrote the check with a smile and went on my way, Once again proving that you MUST know more than those you are dealing with to get it done right the first time. The dozens and dozens of hours of reading a research I had done up front proved invaluable to success of the project.

I've been to the DMV Regional Office here in Central FL to get the RS-68 paperwork. But, after 2+ years, have yet to make the actual appt with the bike.
I think the only tough part with the build is the brake light requirement for both front, and rear, brakes.
How do you plan on tackling that obstacle?? Any ideas yet?
I used the double brake lever with brake light switch for both the front and rear disc breaks, Works very well. The two wires are "normally open". They close or short out with actuation. I put a small resister between the tail light positive connection knocking the brightness of the lights down a bit. The closure of the brake light switch just jumpers the resister so the light burn brighter (bull load) simple and very effective.

Back