Diary of My "Moped" build Registration in Florida

If you have a goodwill or something like that near you, you might be able to find a used bike to salvage the wheels from until you find some good ones.

I am going to close out this thread. I wanted to build a street legal bike for Florida and get it through the registration and license plate process. That has been a success and mostly because of all the great information from the forum. Thank you all very much.

The irony of this turns out to be that it has now become more difficult to finish building my bike than getting it through the legal registration process. All because I counted on, relied upon what I thought would be a proven ready to build bike regardless of the cost. Big mistake. As with most of my ventures, you need to be in control of the process and in this case the careful accumulation of the right parts and then assembling them to your good standards, not those of some company that cares nothing about quality control or function. It has been fun though frustrating to this moment, but I will forge ahead and use the forum for all of the great "general" information that is available here. See you all in the next round of threads. PS. If permitted, I would like to post in the resources a step-by-step guide with all of the current forms for building a street legal registered Moped here in Florida.

Happy and safe New Year to All!

Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 176
Today, after many years, I follow in Risk Man's footsteps.
I finally got my friction drive bike inspected, and ultimately, registered here in Central Flori-duh!

Frankly, it was a real PITA.
All in all, it took 2 trips to my local DMV, and 3 trips to the Regional Office(1hr 30min round-trip by car)
Each of the last 2 visits, they said I needed another, different, completed form....which they failed to provide the time before.🤦‍♂️🤔🤯 ....granted, this is probably only the second time they've ever done this, Risk Man being the first.
Not very expensive. Total price $88. $40 for the inspection, $48 for the registration & plate.

Anyhow, it's finally done, and I'm more than elated!
.....Maybe now that I'm legal, I'll remove the black basket stealthily hiding the GX-50. 😉

*1st pic - my "bicycle" waiting in line to get inspected.
*2nd pic - my "moped" with its clean new license plate.👍

Cheers
-Cavity

Attachments

• 20230321_110803.jpg
    20230321_110803.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230321_185210.jpg
    20230321_185210.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 86
Today, after many years, I follow in Risk Man's footsteps.
I finally got my friction drive bike inspected, and ultimately, registered here in Central Flori-duh!

Frankly, it was a real PITA.
All in all, it took 2 trips to my local DMV, and 3 trips to the Regional Office(1hr 30min round-trip by car)
Each of the last 2 visits, they said I needed another, different, completed form....which they failed to provide the time before.🤦‍♂️🤔🤯 ....granted, this is probably only the second time they've ever done this, Risk Man being the first.
Not very expensive. Total price $88. $40 for the inspection, $48 for the registration & plate.

Anyhow, it's finally done, and I'm more than elated!
.....Maybe now that I'm legal, I'll remove the black basket stealthily hiding the GX-50. 😉

*1st pic - my "bicycle" waiting in line to get inspected.
*2nd pic - my "moped" with its clean new license plate.👍

Cheers
-Cavity
Congrats man! you Did it!! Which regional office did you go to? I went to the one in Bradenton.

Thanks Risk Man.
I went to the Deland Regional Office, in Volusia County.
So, since you did yours in Bradenton, I'm guessing I was the first RS-68 they saw in Deland....probably explains why they were all a**es & elbows and why it took so long.😉

Thanks Risk Man.
I went to the Deland Regional Office, in Volusia County.
So, since you did yours in Bradenton, I'm guessing I was the first RS-68 they saw in Deland....probably explains why they were all a**es & elbows and why it took so long.😉
I lucked out and was there in a very rainy day.. they moved everyone through pretty quick...... did not take mine out of the back of our Landrover. Put the sticker on the frame thorugh the back door! :)

Back