Diesel Tricycle

BecauseSouthern

Local time
6:21 AM
Fun first post for sure. So 2 years ago I imported a nice 3.5 hp diesel set for a go kart project. Well that project took another route and the engine has been sitting, brand new ready to do something.

Well now after having built a 49cc, a 79cc bicycle, I decided I was to motorize a tricycle. Rather than use the "little" kits I figured a diesel setup would provide more than enough torque for these hills, maybe even allow to pull a little gear trailer behind as well.

I ordered up a torque converter, flat steel for an engine mount plate, battery box and some small pieces. I already have a complete 49cc kit I can steal the bolt on sprocket and other pieces needed from.

Getting the weight down low is critical for me, dont need to make a tricycle any less stable. I opted for the 24" wheel version to try to get the CG a little lower.

Anyone built a torque monster tricycle on here before? I see plenty of electric projects and fast projects.

The motor is about 40lbs or so, so it will go behind and below the rear cargo basket. Is it feasible to use the shimano detailer in the powertrain or better to stay single speed? It maxes out at 3600rpm. Any off the shelf jackshaft kits that may help me in that area?

Very curious to see how fuel economy goes, it looks like I could turn the pump down if needed, I doubt it will be under much strain in this setup. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

How about using a generator head and three electric hubs? Building a diesel-electric hybrid bike (or trike) is my fantasy.

Back