Difference the bike makes...

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
9:06 AM
I guess I should believe it but wow. My first bike was on a rigid 700c frame. I've driven it about 500 miles I'd say. 15 mile round trip back and for to work almost daily for a month and a half. When I measured my speed my top was 22 MPH. I felt like I was going too fast. Now I have my 2nd build complete. 26" but with a suspension fork and really low center of gravity compared to the 700c. Today I rode it to work for the first time and measured my speed. I thought I was doing pretty good but held back since it was my first excursion out of the neighborhood and I'm still breaking it in. WOW! My top speed was 26 and I didn't even feel like I was going that fast. I actually held back since it was my first trip. So if you're researching for your first build and you want to do more than putt around your hood, make sure you use a bike that will adapt well to speed.

My first one war an old Fugi mountain bike with a cheap sr fork and that thing felt super fast at 43mph Next bike was a cruiser with rigid forks but 2.5" wide tires and very low center of gravity and it went 54. Didn't feel as sketchy and at 40 felt slower than the 1st bike. Center of gravity, geometry, suspension and tires make all the difference in the world.

My speed lacks uniformity one day 35 mph next day 20 mph same place it's a rotten feeling.
What does it?

temps n humidity sap power +/- 5mph also you might've eaten 4 cheeseburgers before a ride that doesn't help lol
my 700c won't get into the powerband until 26mph, really tall, 40T, kinda heavy. not a torquey motor either. but I need a 26" that's not small bcs I'm 6' and long legs. 26" have advantage in getting to nice peak speeds a lot easier than any other size wheel.
I blame China for catering the inside reduction to work best for 26" n you can't change that w/o serious effort (a topic in itself)

temps n humidity sap power +/- 5mph also you might've eaten 4 cheeseburgers before a ride that doesn't help lol
my 700c won't get into the powerband until 26mph, really tall, 40T, kinda heavy. not a torquey motor either. but I need a 26" that's not small bcs I'm 6' and long legs. 26" have advantage in getting to nice peak speeds a lot easier than any other size wheel.
I blame China for catering the inside reduction to work best for 26" n you can't change that w/o serious effort (a topic in itself)
Ya that has an effect when it's a nice day that I like the bike performs better also the wind if it's blowing 20 MPH and bikes averaged running speed is 25 MPH it drop down to over all speed stop to go 15 MPH I got to check my computer again see what my average speed is again cuz drop way down after I blew a piston had put a used one back in along with rings and spindle & bushing and also swap the jug with a used one too but most of parts were only 4 months time on it.

My first one war an old Fugi mountain bike with a cheap sr fork and that thing felt super fast at 43mph Next bike was a cruiser with rigid forks but 2.5" wide tires and very low center of gravity and it went 54. Didn't feel as sketchy and at 40 felt slower than the 1st bike. Center of gravity, geometry, suspension and tires make all the difference in the world.

Yep, cruisers are perfect for MB conversions. Long wheelbase and more relaxed steering geometry compared to road bikes or mountain bikes, and with engine power the additional weight isn't a big deal. And most of them will take a fatter tire for a better ride.

Cruisers are for Grandmas, Hybrids are cool, so cool they look like they're going 50mph sitting on the kickstand!

Back