different coloured engine oils!?!?

G-Superior

Local time
9:18 AM
One thing that i never really get is why are there so many different coulored 2 stroke engine oils.:geek:
I have used Red most of my life and green a few times and they dont make a diference at all on performance:unsure:
i know that there is red, green, blue and purple and there are mineral, semi and fully syntetic oils but which is which? I know that there is red oil in both mineral and fully syntetic and the green one i use is mineral but im not sure why are there so many colours if they all come from simular places:confused:
Have you ever had any experience with cloget exhaust systems due to using one type of oil but you never had with other?
Any engines siezed due to using one type or quality of oil?
more smoke with one than the other?
G-Superior:D

forgot to attach then:geek:

Attachments

• piston skirt and ring.jpg
    piston skirt and ring.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 165
  • piston pin side.jpg
    piston pin side.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 158
  • heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 162
Fuel to oil ratio, air :fuel ratio setting of carburetor, environmental temperature conditions, state of piston to cylinder fitment, ignition timing, compression ratio, exhaust system used, how hard the engine is pushed, and freshness of fuel all have an effect on internal carbon build up; Both in the combustion chamber (which includes the top of the piston) and the piston skirts and wrist pin boss area.

I noticed the previous post are from outside the U.S. I don't know if there's any real difference, but I do know that some manufactures here in the states require certain oils to be used in there engines. Especially water craft. I've owned several personal water crafts (Jet Skis). What ever oil I was supposed to use came in a particular color. Lets just say green for instance. If I used a red color oil in it and had a break down while under warranty, the shop could refuse to honor the warranty policy due to the fact that I did not use the correct recommended oil. Trust me, the oils do leave colored residue and the service folks will see and know. I think it's a gimmic to get you to buy their brand of oil. I've used Walmart brand oil in my boats and have had no problems.

I just remembered this. I just had an issue with a Stihl brand chainsaw that I bought last year in March. In April of this year I was cutting with it and it blew a hole in the top of the piston, exactly one month to the day out of warranty. I had ran less than a gallon of fuel through it from day one. Ironic for a Stihl. They’re labeled as like the best chainsaws on the planet.
Although it was out of warranty, Stihl stood behind it and put a new engine on it at no charge to me. They said it was probably a manufacture’s defect, that there was nothing I could have done to cause it. I bought it from a very reputable dealer. They told me they checked my fuel mixture and it was good. I don’t know how they check, but I’m glad I used Stihl oil and mixed it properly, so there was no question there. I would definitely use manufacture’s oil recommendations while under warranty on anything, even if it costs a little more just to be on the safe side. Cheap insurance policy.

Dealing with a good company certainly pays off when the poo hits the fan!
Warranty can be a very good thing. That's why I cringe every time I hear of someone who just bought an engine kit off of FleaBay.
99% of the time "Warranty" is not in their vocabulary.

Good, reputable dealers are a + also. I recently purchased an Echo brand blower from the same dealer I got my Stihl chainsaw and Kubota tractor from. The blower cost me $10.00 more from them over Agent Orange's (Home Depot) price. After what they did for me on my saw, yes, I'd be glad to pay $10.00 more for the service. I also like your term "fleaBay". Haven't seen or heard that one until now

Last edited by a moderator:
Back