Digital Speedo/odo

An NGK resistor plug like the 7544 (CR7HIX) will help, but personally I can't stand electric of any kind.
I can't just glance at it and read it!
Sun glare and a tiny readout don't cut it for me.
I like the old school mechanical bike dial speedos for ~$25.

GT2-10G-53-DoneHandlebars.jpg

That little black box between the speedo and light is a Tach/Hour meter.

When the engine is running it displays the RPM's, when it's off it displays how many hours the engine has been run, darn handy to know when it's time for maintenance.

Just another spiffy device for the handlebars that is not effected by spark EMS, it's only input is a wire wrapped around the spark plug wire ;-}

Last edited:
What make and do you have a supplier for those parts KC?

I use a GPS in my back pocket for speed checks.

I've no experience with RF interference on these bikes, but I do in industry and mobile radios.
1) Resistor wire and plug are you friends, try them.
2) Separate the problems as far as possible. Coil on the seat stem, pickup and speedo on the forks.
3) Shield as much as possible. Wrap your low voltage wires from engine to coil in foil and tape. Same with wired speedo.

This should do it.

Steve

Did you see where my CDI is? You nailed it Steve.
Hey KC, what make/model/supplier is that tach/hour meter? Very nice.

bd2.jpg

The speedo/odo's are common and cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331915522154?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

They are set to 26" wheels and no way to re-gear them to anything else so if you have a different size front wheel it's not for you.
The needle bounces around a little in operation, but sure easier to just glance down and see than anything electronic, especially a cell Phone in your back pocket hehehe ;-}

The Tach/Hour meter is low cost as well <$20.
https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Tachometer-Resettable-Inductive-Motorcycle/dp/B00F40Q5UA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41DS+++VTkL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=Q4FPTYKJSGJ7M72VGRWJ

It is 'always on' displaying total hours when the engine is off, RPM's when the engine is on.
It is settable for both 2 and 4-stroke engines, and not effected by spark plug EMS, it's only input is a single wire wrapped around the plug wire ;-}

Figure the battery will die in about a year, I don't know what you can do after that but I don't see a way to replace the battery, and all the ones I have used still work.

Anyway, it's a nice combo of instruments for <$40 that gives you a lot of info on your handlebars even if you have to replace both every year.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The speedo/odo's are common and cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331915522154?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

They are set to 26" wheels and no way to re-gear them to anything else so if you have a different size front wheel it's not for you.
The needle bounces around a little in operation, but sure easier to just glance down and see than anything electronic, especially a cell Phone in your back pocket hehehe ;-}

The Tach/Hour meter is low cost as well <$20.
https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Tachometer-Resettable-Inductive-Motorcycle/dp/B00F40Q5UA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41DS+++VTkL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=Q4FPTYKJSGJ7M72VGRWJ

It is 'always on' displaying total hours when the engine is off, RPM's when the engine is on.
It is settable for both 2 and 4-stroke engines, and not effected by spark plug EMS, it's only input is a single wire wrapped around the plug wire ;-}

Figure the battery will die in about a year, I don't know what you can do after that but I don't see a way to replace the battery, and all the ones I have used still work.

Anyway, it's a nice combo of instruments for <$40 that gives you a lot of info on your handlebars even if you have to replace both every year.
Thanks KC,
I'm happy with the wireless speedo I've got. I do like that tach and hour meter though.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just an update to what KC included.... a bit of poking around on Amazon found the same design tach/hour meter for $2 more that has a replaceable battery. Even so, at $13 vs $15, it might be just as cost effective to throw it away when it dies rather than replace the battery.

When you go to the link, click the "upgraded version".
https://smile.amazon.com/KEDSUM-Tac..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=CNX4V7144HXFAEXH8GYT

Either way, thanks KC for turning me on to this cheap wonder. :D I was about to spend $50 on a Tiny-Tach that is usually used on kitplanes. :)
https://tinytach.com/gasoline.php

Just an update to what KC included.... a bit of poking around on Amazon found the same design tach/hour meter for $2 more that has a replaceable battery. Even so, at $13 vs $15, it might be just as cost effective to throw it away when it dies rather than replace the battery.

Either way, thanks KC for turning me on to this cheap wonder. :D I was about to spend $50 on a Tiny-Tach that is usually used on kitplanes. :)
https://tinytach.com/gasoline.php
Your welcome bud, I find it useful enough to justify the cost, and when you want to run your engine at or above Red Line, a darn handy readout to have ;-}

View attachment 73020 This is the one I have.It works great. No problem with engines. I put one on both bikes. No problems with either one. It's the Bell Console 200. they were like $22 at Wally World. I checked their accuracy against my phone GPS while riding and they were dead on. Really surprising performance from a cheapie wireless from Wally's. Has speedo/odometer/ time/temp and a bunch of other things. Even has a backlight. Sweet.

i had the same one but it would act up on me all the time..!!! i read about the wire less ones having problems cause of the bikes electronics,, i returned it and got the $10 dollar cheaper one cause it dont have a backlight and its wired, big deal its a small wire that i hid anyway under my shock boot... for $10 bucks it works great... i also got a $9 dollar tachometer and engine run hour meter off ebay with free shipping and that works great too... its nice to know your speed and rpm...all for $19 dollars,,, i want to get a engine temp gauage,,, any one know where to get one ???? and here is a cool FM radio and MP3 player that reads memory cards for $37 and mounts to my cross bar.. there is a cheaper one with bigger speakers on ebay too,,, its a toss up,,, I like this one cause its all together one piece, but I would have to get the 12 volt generator $25... how does that thing work ??? anyone have one. ??
s-l1600 (12).jpg

An NGK resistor plug like the 7544 (CR7HIX) will help, but personally I can't stand electric of any kind.
I can't just glance at it and read it!
Sun glare and a tiny readout don't cut it for me.
I like the old school mechanical bike dial speedos for ~$25.

GT2-10G-53-DoneHandlebars.jpg

That little black box between the speedo and light is a Tach/Hour meter.

When the engine is running it displays the RPM's, when it's off it displays how many hours the engine has been run, darn handy to know when it's time for maintenance.

Just another spiffy device for the handlebars that is not effected by spark EMS, it's only input is a wire wrapped around the spark plug wire ;-}

i have the same tach/hour meter $9 off ebay....how you like it ????
P1010005.JPG

Back