digital speedometer

drukstanas

Local time
6:49 AM
Hi, I have weird problem. Once i start up the engine speedometer instantly shuts off. It works perfectly when i do not use motor. Does it happens with all digital speedometers? I tried with two of them, both had same problem. I think it happens because of vibration.

Since your on the subject. Do the old school needle speedometers work? the ones that conect to the front hub. Would this work on a luya rim with disk brake? I like the idea of digital and get all the other functions but sort of like the old simple look.
Any experience or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi, I have weird problem. Once i start up the engine speedometer instantly shuts off. It works perfectly when i do not use motor. Does it happens with all digital speedometers? I tried with two of them, both had same problem. I think it happens because of vibration.

Some digital speedometers are more affected by EMI/RFI from small engines than others. Some engines produce more EMI/RFI than others, as well.
I have seen speedometers work fine with one engine but not other one of the same type. It's almost always caused by the engine's magneto.
The windings aren't particularly consistent, and shielding is pretty much non-existent. If your digital is wireless, the problem may be exacerbated.

You can take several steps to get your speedometer working:

1) Isolate the speedometer from the frame the best you can. Since your engine is using the frame as a ground, it can cause some interference in a digital speedometer- wired or not.
Start by insulating the frame where the speedometer head mounts and also the fork where the pick-up mounts. If there are any cables, shield them from the frame.

2) Install a ferrite core noise suppressor on the plug wire. These are inexpensive and snap right on. It may be hit or miss whether it works well enough, but I've had good results.

3) Run a resistor version of a quality spark plug (small threaded cap). You may also need a plug boot that works with such a plug. Make sure it's good quality, I recommend NGK.

All of the above should get your digital speedometer working. I've been running digital speedos for over 20 years and have seen some weird behavior from them!
The analog needle speedometers just don't last on our bikes. Believe me, I've tried many. Digital all the way!

Since your on the subject. Do the old school needle speedometers work? the ones that conect to the front hub. Would this work on a luya rim with disk brake?
Any experience or suggestions are appreciated.
Mike
I like the old school speedo's.
I can't read those digital's when I'm riding, especially in the bright Phoenix sun.
That goes for the Tach on this bike too.

Just 1/2 a glance down and you see the speed easily.
20 mph is straight up, the red zone starts at 30 mph, this bike could almost bury the needle.

10GfitoDoneBars.jpg

They work on 26" wheels only, ~$30, work with a left disc brake, pretty accurate but not known for their longevity.

Still though, they look cool and easy to read, all I need ;-}

kc, I had one of those speedos and it wasn't even a little bit accurate. the needle goes crazy after 30 km/h and if you pegged it once it would never return to zero again

That's what every single one of those cheap analog speedometers I've tried did. Once you go over a certain speed the thing goes to crap.

The only modern analogs that seem to work well are the Whizzer speedometers. My brother has had one for over 5 years, still works great.

kc, I had one of those speedos and it wasn't even a little bit accurate. the needle goes crazy after 30 km/h and if you pegged it once it would never return to zero again
I know, I have toasted a couple myself, those cheap analog speedo's are not known for reliability at enhanced MB speeds, certainly not accurate enough for high speed exact speed readings, but really still ideal for those that run in that 25-32 mph basic MB range and want an easy way to glance down and see speed for ~$30.

I would really like to be able to use scooter analog speedo but it's all about the gearing ratio from the tire rotation to match the needle and scooters that have small diameter wheels.

do what I do for adapting speedos, just print a new face plate. way easier than changing the gearing

Back