Dimension edge troubleshooting

UtiliD

Local time
6:23 PM
20180520_181336.jpg
20180520_181305.jpg
20180520_181327.jpg
20180520_181344.jpg
So I bought a used dimension edge kit with the shift on the fly mechanism. I am mechanically inclined but just learning about bike motor kits. The kit originally came with the aluminum U bracket that attaches to the rear fork or seat post part of the frame. I changed that to pieces of flat 1/8th" thich aluminum on each side & I replaced the cable that engage's & disengages the drive roller & it seems like that's not doing the job. The only way it seemed like it might work is if I used a pair of pliers & pulled really hard on the inner cable even then I don't understand how it would disengage?
Questions

1. Is this cable supposed to be a brake cable (which is what was on my used kit) or a gear cable?

2. I cannot find and install videos on this kit anywhere & I am usually really good at locating information like this. Where can I find some? Dimension Edges site is useless as far as I'm concerned & would never do business(buy a new kit) from a company that puts so little effort in to their site. Every link leads to an error page.

3. Where the cable attaches to the mount there is the eye bolt a washer 2 nuts & the hollow threaded rod the cable runs through. Can this threaded rod be used to tighten the cable to make it engage disengage easier?

4. It seems like the only way this cable might work is if the cable runs a straight shot & the outer sheath & inner cable are installed all very tight with a lot of tension on both.

5. I know the drive rollers are supposed to be easy to change & I got it off but the shafts spins freely & I don't see how I'll get the roller back on tight (how to lock the shaft in position so I can tighten the bolt securing the drive roller).?

Any help would be appreciated. If I get a chance I'll up load pictures. I think my redesign of the mount came out really good & it's a good thing I hoard hardware some of which I don't know the names for but need to learn because I can tell this I going to be a long lasting very involved hobby.

Last edited:
The handle that pulls the cable to the channel attaches to the eylet and then to a U shaped pivot arm under the channel. It's spring loaded where the springs in normal position holds the channel in the up position. Pulling on the lever pulls against the spring/s and lowers the uchannel onto the tire. The pivot arm under the channel attaches to the support arms towards the rear of the channel, that pivoting motion is adjustable and provides the up or down position of the uchannel. In your pics I see a solid pipe there. Is that holding the channel in just 1 position? If so it should not be there. If you need springs Ace has them, I bought a couple there cuzz they do wear and break. You can use 1, 2, or 3 depending on how much force you need. I found 2 to be ideal Springs attach to the pivot arm and the rear of the channel At the rear of the channel you should see 1/2/3 grooves there. They keep the spring in just one position and not to slide from side to side. Hope this helps, I wish I had pics to better show you.

The handle that pulls the cable to the channel attaches to the eylet and then to a U shaped pivot arm under the channel. It's spring loaded where the springs in normal position holds the channel in the up position. Pulling on the lever pulls against the spring/s and lowers the uchannel onto the tire. The pivot arm under the channel attaches to the support arms towards the rear of the channel, that pivoting motion is adjustable and provides the up or down position of the uchannel. In your pics I see a solid pipe there. Is that holding the channel in just 1 position? If so it should not be there. If you need springs Ace has them, I bought a couple there cuzz they do wear and break. You can use 1, 2, or 3 depending on how much force you need. I found 2 to be ideal Springs attach to the pivot arm and the rear of the channel At the rear of the channel you should see 1/2/3 grooves there. They keep the spring in just one position and not to slide from side to side. Hope this helps, I wish I had pics to better show you.
2018-05-24 19.16.01.jpg
2018-05-24 19.13.55.jpg
2018-05-24 19.11.23.jpg
2018-05-24 19.15.18.jpg

Sorry about the dirt I ran it with a regular mountain bike tire(on a off & on wet day) I'm not installing the cruiser tire I bought until I know I can get this working. I don't see the grooves your talking about. When I pull that lever it seems like the cable will snap before moving the housing at all.

I just ran it around the block a couple times & that sucker was moving at half throttle but only if I push down on the housing so it makes solid contact with the tire so I have to get the "shift on the fly" mechanism working.

The pipe is not holding it in one position it's pvc, rotates on the eye bolt that & encases a spring that I'm pretty sure creates the back pressure that pulls the housing (spindle) off the tire. The spring with the brake cable threaded through it(still not sure if it should be a brake or shift cable ie the previous owner changed the cable & used the wrong type of cable) is supposed to be activated by the lever & pull the housing(spindle) on to the tire.

Are you saying I should eliminate the pvc pipe & add spring(s) that hook the vertical u bracket to the back of the housing?

could the pvc pipe with spring in it be what is keeping the cable from pulling the housing on to the tire? Or the type of cable being used or a combination of the 2?
I have a bunch of springs from hardware I've been hoarding over the years for/from unrelated projects.

Can you see the pictures I posted in 2 previous posts? I selected full size instead of thumbnail & wonder if that limits who can view the pics depending on their device?

Back