Dio reed oko 21mm carb

Local time
10:10 PM
I have a Dio Reed ported cylinder with a window piston set up on a 21 mm OKO carburetor and I am having a lot of issues and problems trying to get it to idle correctly. I had to plug one of the holes because it was sucking in too much air and that made an amazing difference. But I cannot seem to get this bike to stay running or idle unless I am constantly giving it throttle. Would adjusting the needle clip possibly change anything by chance? I am running the smallest jet sizes I believe the carburetor came with any advice would be very helpful thank you.

have you read up on how to tune the OKO carbs ? You need to adjust the idle mixture screw either left or right ( which ever causes the idle to increase ..) once the idle increases, adjust the idle screw to bring back down the idle .. continue adjusting the idle mixture screw until it no longer raises the idle.. then turn off engine and count how many turns out it is .. If more than 2 you need smaller jet.. if less than 1 turn, you need larger jet ..

this is all for idle and slightly off idle .. to tune 1/4-3/4, thats the slide needle .. to tune for 3/4 - Full Throttle, thats the high speed jet

Most chinagirls need a hole drilled in the OKO 21 to properly idle. Its too big of a carb honestly, but this will help. Only drill the yellow circle, ignore the other spots above it. Start with 1mm, if it still needs work (AFTER you have properly tuned it) you can try going to 1.5mm but don't go larger than that or you will ruin the carb.

Most chinagirls need a hole drilled in the OKO 21 to properly idle. Its too big of a carb honestly, but this will help. Only drill the yellow circle, ignore the other spots above it. Start with 1mm, if it still needs work (AFTER you have properly tuned it) you can try going to 1.5mm but don't go larger than that or you will ruin the carb.
View attachment 97148
DO NOT DO THIS !!! This is BS and the people that started this crap info have no clue!!This passage is allready twice the size of the pilot jet and it's the pilot jet which meters the fuel flow through it not the size of the passage way,you have to know how to tune this type of carb properly to get the best performance from it!

DO NOT DO THIS !!! This is BS and the people that started this crap info have no clue!!This passage is allready twice the size of the pilot jet and it's the pilot jet which meters the fuel flow through it not the size of the passage way,you have to know how to tune this type of carb properly to get the best performance from it!
Ive done it on THREE different chinagirl builds, two Dio setups and one OZ reed. It helps a ton and makes it EASIER to tune. You do not touch the existing passages on top, just a new passage on the circles spot.

OKO21 is a terrible carb for these motors and needs the extra passage because these motors cant pull enough vacuum.

I know how to tune a carb.

Ive done it on THREE different chinagirl builds, two Dio setups and one OZ reed. It helps a ton and makes it EASIER to tune. You do not touch the existing passages on top, just a new passage on the circles spot.

OKO21 is a terrible carb for these motors and needs the extra passage because these motors cant pull enough vacuum.

The oko 21 is a great carb if you know how to tune it!And these engines make plenty of vac to use these carb's I have been running a 24 mm oko on a p/p for a few years now and setup many 21mm for people with NO holes drilled or needed the proper pilot jet is what is needed!You're running reeds with more intake duration than me and are trying to say there isn't enough vac LOL when my carb is bigger and idles like a champ! This makes no sense so maybe you don't know how to tune you're carb and listen to Rob's BS too much!
Watch the first few minute's of this video from last fall,cold start and idle of 24mm oko properly tuned and then tell us how there is not enough vac!

The oko 21 is a great carb if you know how to tune it!And these engines make plenty of vac to use these carb's I have been running a 24 mm oko on a p/p for a few years now and setup many 21mm for people with NO holes drilled or needed the proper pilot jet is what is needed!You're running reeds with more intake duration than me and are trying to say there isn't enough vac LOL when my carb is bigger and idles like a champ! This makes no sense so maybe you don't know how to tune you're carb and listen to Rob's BS too much!
Watch the first few minute's of this video from last fall,cold start and idle of 24mm oko properly tuned and then tell us how there is not enough vac!

No its not, and all the posts recently about noobs trying to use it on nearly stock motors and having nothing but problems supports that. It has already been proven that 21mm is too much for stock bore chinagirl, it is far from a "great carb" for us. Big carbs are 4-5 year old fads that no fast bike uses anymore. A too big carb will not HURT power, that's not what I mean when I say "too big". Your peak will be the same, but low end and throttle response will suffer. Simple physics - same amount of air moving through a larger carb orifice means less velocity, decreased fuel atomization, rougher idle, harder to tune, worse throttle response, and irregular fuel delivery. I don't care about a video of a slow bike in the woods, even though it did prove my point with the poor throttle response and lazy low end(not sure what you thought that vid would show). Maybe it would be a good match if it was a sleeved 50mm bore on meth or a ported minarelli top end making 9+hp but it clearly isnt. I have ran 5-6 different carbs of all sizes on my same test bench 47mm chinagirl motor and the best one was the PHBG 19mm. Overall performance was better than anything else from stock all the way up to 24mm. Also have 26mm and 28mm carbs, but they are for my 4stroke and WAY overkill so were not tested.

To clarify again though, my chinagirl is a piston port motor. Of my 3 personal bikes I currently have, only my BMX build uses a reed (49cc moped motor with 45mm top end). Also none of my bikes are from Rob and I am not affiliated with them in any way - the chinagirl was purchased through him but it was because he was selling stock unassembled kits direct from Zehe at nearly bulk invoice prices and I got like 8 kits from him at the same time back when I was selling bikes. I build my own engines. Since you brought him up though, he USED to use and recommend big carbs on his motors 2-3 years ago, but now even his 10+hp motors all use 21mm carbs. Only the race motors on meth require larger. Hell, my BMX build I mentioned above does 65mph and spins over 10k RPM with only a 19mm and 4 pedal reed with super crisp throttle response and amazing mid range. It hits the pipe harder than an over the hill rock star whose band just broke up :LOL:. No way your weaker, slower, lower RPM motor needs a much bigger 24mm carb than that does.

Swap to a VM18 and I bet your bike is faster everywhere in the RPM range. Your 5-6hp chinagirl doesn't need a bigger carb than an 11hp KTM lol.

No its not, and all the posts recently about noobs trying to use it on nearly stock motors and having nothing but problems supports that. It has already been proven that 21mm is too much for stock bore chinagirl, it is far from a "great carb" for us. Big carbs are 4-5 year old fads that no fast bike uses anymore. A too big carb will not HURT power, that's not what I mean when I say "too big". Your peak will be the same, but low end and throttle response will suffer. Simple physics - same amount of air moving through a larger carb orifice means less velocity, decreased fuel atomization, rougher idle, harder to tune, worse throttle response, and irregular fuel delivery. I don't care about a video of a slow bike in the woods, even though it did prove my point with the poor throttle response and lazy low end(not sure what you thought that vid would show). Maybe it would be a good match if it was a sleeved 50mm bore on meth or a ported minarelli top end making 9+hp but it clearly isnt. I have ran 5-6 different carbs of all sizes on my same test bench 47mm chinagirl motor and the best one was the PHBG 19mm. Overall performance was better than anything else from stock all the way up to 24mm. Also have 26mm and 28mm carbs, but they are for my 4stroke and WAY overkill so were not tested.

To clarify again though, my chinagirl is a piston port motor. Of my 3 personal bikes I currently have, only my BMX build uses a reed (49cc moped motor with 45mm top end). Also none of my bikes are from Rob and I am not affiliated with them in any way - the chinagirl was purchased through him but it was because he was selling stock unassembled kits direct from Zehe at nearly bulk invoice prices and I got like 8 kits from him at the same time back when I was selling bikes. I build my own engines. Since you brought him up though, he USED to use and recommend big carbs on his motors 2-3 years ago, but now even his 10+hp motors all use 21mm carbs. Only the race motors on meth require larger. Hell, my BMX build I mentioned above does 65mph and spins over 10k RPM with only a 19mm and 4 pedal reed with super crisp throttle response and amazing mid range. It hits the pipe harder than an over the hill rock star whose band just broke up :LOL:. No way your weaker, slower, lower RPM motor needs a much bigger 24mm carb than that does.

Swap to a VM18 and I bet your bike is faster everywhere in the RPM range. Your 5-6hp chinagirl doesn't need a bigger carb than an 11hp KTM lol.
Dude you're talking out you're ass! What part of my engine is a stock bore china girl piston port running a 24 mm oko in that video idling like a champ,it pulls harder than any china girl out there so far and the only ones that can beat me in acceleration so far are the minerelli hybrids when using a 40t gear yet I'm turning 11/30 and still get a better top end!My engines have a bmep of 112 and 6 ft lbs of torque,do you know what that work's out to? I'll tell you it's no secret 10.2 hp @ 9k and I spin to 10,600 with that gearing which is 73 mph and my point to all this is you don't know wtf you're talking about! The 21mm is perfectly suited to these engines and the oko does not need it's passage drilled that doesn't even help the flow!Here is the passage that you're saying to drill,why it's all ready twice the size of the pilot jet as you can plainly see here!

Back