Dio reed oko 21mm carb

Awesome...(Grandparents on fathers side were "herring chokers" out of Halifax, Nova Scotia)...lol...DAMIEN

See that, you guys knew there was something ya liked about me...lol.

Herring chokers are from New Brunswick, folks from Nova Scotia are Blue Nosers.

Herring chokers are from New Brunswick, folks from Nova Scotia are Blue Nosers.
My Nana always called us herring chokers, but you may well be correct...She must have been a Blue Noser, as she always had her nose up in the air, looking down upon all the unwashed masses...lol...DAMIEN

Last edited:
No its not, and all the posts recently about noobs trying to use it on nearly stock motors and having nothing but problems supports that. It has already been proven that 21mm is too much for stock bore chinagirl, it is far from a "great carb" for us. Big carbs are 4-5 year old fads that no fast bike uses anymore. A too big carb will not HURT power, that's not what I mean when I say "too big". Your peak will be the same, but low end and throttle response will suffer. Simple physics - same amount of air moving through a larger carb orifice means less velocity, decreased fuel atomization, rougher idle, harder to tune, worse throttle response, and irregular fuel delivery. I don't care about a video of a slow bike in the woods, even though it did prove my point with the poor throttle response and lazy low end(not sure what you thought that vid would show). Maybe it would be a good match if it was a sleeved 50mm bore on meth or a ported minarelli top end making 9+hp but it clearly isnt. I have ran 5-6 different carbs of all sizes on my same test bench 47mm chinagirl motor and the best one was the PHBG 19mm. Overall performance was better than anything else from stock all the way up to 24mm. Also have 26mm and 28mm carbs, but they are for my 4stroke and WAY overkill so were not tested.

To clarify again though, my chinagirl is a piston port motor. Of my 3 personal bikes I currently have, only my BMX build uses a reed (49cc moped motor with 45mm top end). Also none of my bikes are from Rob and I am not affiliated with them in any way - the chinagirl was purchased through him but it was because he was selling stock unassembled kits direct from Zehe at nearly bulk invoice prices and I got like 8 kits from him at the same time back when I was selling bikes. I build my own engines. Since you brought him up though, he USED to use and recommend big carbs on his motors 2-3 years ago, but now even his 10+hp motors all use 21mm carbs. Only the race motors on meth require larger. Hell, my BMX build I mentioned above does 65mph and spins over 10k RPM with only a 19mm and 4 pedal reed with super crisp throttle response and amazing mid range. It hits the pipe harder than an over the hill rock star whose band just broke up :LOL:. No way your weaker, slower, lower RPM motor needs a much bigger 24mm carb than that does.

Swap to a VM18 and I bet your bike is faster everywhere in the RPM range. Your 5-6hp chinagirl doesn't need a bigger carb than an 11hp KTM lol.
I'm having the same problem with my reed system am getting the feeling I wasted my $ . But now I have it trying to make it work. It will run great for 200 ft then die. Haven't changed jets but did drill it out. I don't want to give up on it . I would love to have a real conversation by ph with someone to get this thing together. By chance you get this if you could call 937 708 6320 in Ohio.

Robert, Welcome to MotoredBikes..... It's not wise to post your phone number.
You should have people PM you and then give them your number.

I'm a nube and having the same thing going on with my reed intake and 24 mm. Runs great for about 200 ft then dies" up and down idle drilled it out but haven't jetted it yet came with two sets of jets can't tell which two are a match. 100$ Tide up in this s**t don't want give up on it . I can till if was right I would love it. So they guy that drilled his out I would like to talk to by phone if any way possible "sounds like you no what the puck your talking about. Need some help ph 937 708 6320 !! Hate this texting s**t in

I'm having the same problem with my reed system am getting the feeling I wasted my $ . But now I have it trying to make it work. It will run great for 200 ft then die. Haven't changed jets but did drill it out. I don't want to give up on it . I would love to have a real conversation by ph with someone to get this thing together. By chance you get this if you could call 937 708 6320 in Ohio.
FNTPuck is no longer here, highly doubt he'll be calling you! Drilling out the idle circuit is the wrong thing to do, it's not needed and makes no improvement at all. Air leaks are the biggest issue with reed setups then being jetted properly takes riding it and seeing how it responds to input through out the range. Reed setups require a much larger idle jet, the needle position tuned for good transition between idle and part throttle then the main jet, it's best to start too big (rich) and go down until it just cleans up with little to no four stroking under load, no load or fixed throttle position should just slightly burble and all will be good!

Back