Dio Reed Setup - No start issue

Potato_In_Exhaust

Local time
3:34 AM
I recently purchased a used motorized bike that had a no start issue, found out it had no spark. Replaced the CDI and got spark. It is a DIO Reed setup, but previous owner used the original NT carb with some step-down pipes to make it fit...... I didn't like that, nor did it start with that, so I purchased a clone of a clone OKO PWK 21mm carburetor. Got it to fit in there after having some issues with throttle cable fitment, but it's working fine now. Anyway, I tried to start it and..... nothing. Not even a close sign of wanting to turn over on it's own. Could it be the jets in there are not suitable for my setup, too rich perhaps? Do I need to purchased jets to play around with? Is that the problem or any other areas I should look for?

Check your spark again before you go too far, 90% of carb issues are electrical. Also check that your mag is seated on the flywheel correctly, if it's loose it can add too much advance and it will never start.

Check your spark again before you go too far, 90% of carb issues are electrical. Also check that your mag is seated on the flywheel correctly, if it's loose it can add too much advance and it will never start.
I checked for spark with plug out and it seems to be sparking fine though. You think I need to check and see if there's any play in the key slot? Perhaps a timing issue? You think even with wrong jetting, it should still turn over... just not hold idle or will bog, etc? I believe it comes pre-installed with a 100 main and a 41 pilot.

I checked for spark with plug out and it seems to be sparking fine though. You think I need to check and see if there's any play in the key slot? Perhaps a timing issue? You think even with wrong jetting, it should still turn over... just not hold idle or will bog, etc? I believe it comes pre-installed with a 100 main and a 41 pilot.
I have a couple funky different carbs that I've tried in the past and have always got them to run on the stock, from the factory, set up.

Turn your petcock on and wait a couple minutes for the bowl to fill, shut it off again and try starting it again. If after a couple minutes of trying, it starts or sputters then it's probably a carb issue. As the bowl drains, it will lean out and start. especially if it's flooding off the bat.

Tried starting it a bunch more times, still the same..... no start nor wanting to start. I don't want to have to tear down the motor..... but maybe that's in order, perhaps the reed petals are torn apart? Would that cause a no start issue? Or maybe an air leak somewhere?

Mag on backwards? I did that a few times. It won't start when the spark comes at bdc. Lol
Tried starting it a bunch more times, still the same..... no start nor wanting to start. I don't want to have to tear down the motor..... but maybe that's in order, perhaps the reed petals are torn apart? Would that cause a no start issue? Or maybe an air leak somewhe

Back