Direct Drive Set Up

All it would really take would be a set of mirrored case halves, and a slight design change to the sprocket cover/housing. Quite literally flip everything around.

I don't like the method in that picture for one reason, the sprocket is so far away from the bearing supporting the shaft. May cause some increased wear due to added stress.
I wonder how much it would cost to have a mirrored crankcase built. Cheapest way to manufacture would be to machine a casting rather than cutting down a whole block of aluminum.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a mirrored crankcase built. Cheapest way to manufacture would be to machine a casting rather than cutting down a whole block of aluminum.
For a small/short order on something like that, CNC machining from a billet would cost less. It takes a lot to make accurate casting molds that are built to spec to account for cooling shrinkage. Casting only becomes cheap once the time consuming part is over with, you can pump out a ton of them quickly.

Heck, if you have the ability and access to the right type of equipment, you could easily do a running prototype via 3d printing. Nylon Carbon Fiber printing is chemical resistant and heat resistant up to about 300 degrees. The case halves won't see the kind of heat a head and cylinder do so it would probably survive fine for a while. Get your files right for the print and they could easily be scale adjusted to account for casting shrinkage.

Then you could do a 3d wax print and try your hand at lost-wax casting.

Heck, if you have the ability and access to the right type of equipment, you could easily do a running prototype via 3d printing. Nylon Carbon Fiber printing is chemical resistant and heat resistant up to about 300 degrees. The case halves won't see the kind of heat a head and cylinder do so it would probably survive fine for a while. Get your files right for the print and they could easily be scale adjusted to account for casting shrinkage.

Then you could do a 3d wax print and try your hand at lost-wax casting.
I was just thinking about production at volume. Not sure if there's enough of a market to justify tooling up though. Talking to a machine shop may be the most practical way to get one.

I was just thinking about production at volume. Not sure if there's enough of a market to justify tooling up though. Talking to a machine shop may be the most practical way to get one.
That's where the 3d printing can also come in handy. Do the print model in solid works, use the printing to do prototypes to ensure the design will work. Once you are happy with the printed product you could provide the file to them for machining.

As for the market for a right side drive motor. I couldn't tell you for sure, but I do know that the end price for the users will be too high and so they wouldn't sell.

That's where the 3d printing can also come in handy. Do the print model in solid works, use the printing to do prototypes to ensure the design will work. Once you are happy with the printed product you could provide the file to them for machining.

As for the market for a right side drive motor. I couldn't tell you for sure, but I do know that the end price for the users will be too high and so they wouldn't sell.
Yeah, the market is too small for a high volume low margin strategy and the price would have to be high for the market that is there.

Think you could do it for $200? One of these would be sweet.
Get yourself some sandpaper in varying grits from 100-4000. Lay the sandpaper down on a flat surface and sand the cover just keep swapping sandpaper until she shines. Go over it in the end with some polishing compound on a cotton wheel. All=mirror.

Back