direct hit spark

i've invited lou, the president of directhits, to come talk to us about it. he seems interested, i hope he jumps in.

AT the request of Augi, I have joined this thread to provide some insight into the DirectHits technology and answer questions about applications.

First, DirectHits is a pulsepower derived technology that utilizes a capacitor to store energy during the beginning of the ignition event and discharge the energy very quickly once the resistance spark gap has been overcome and a spark channel generated. This process increases the peak power of the spark and reduces cycle-to-cycle variations in combustion pressure which is the result of poor ignition.

A good analogy, is the AA battery. In a flashlight you get a beam of light, but put the battery in a flash camera...that's the difference

One thing you need to stay aware of..the small engines you are using are generally ignition challenged. They do not have a lot of energy and when using DirectHits with them you generally need to set a smaller than stock gap.

Torque is probably the most noticeable benefit you will extract based on your applications and all applications will take the DirectHits S80 product.

You must use a non-resistor spark plug with an insulator 1" long and capped with a threaded post. This is what the DirectHit attaches to.

If I can answer any questions please feel free to respond

Lou Camilli

hi just jumping in here so will the direct hit burn more of the fuel in the combustion chamber causing more torque seems to me these small engines dont burn all the fuel but losses it in the exhaust. if it did then it would run smoother me thinks larry ca

2-strokes, especially these little ones you play with are not very sophisticated with regard to fuel or emissions management. They are typically fueled rich to ensure starting and reasonable power. This is a condition DirectHits excells in.

Burning more of the presented fuel in a shorter period of time is one of the sources of the improved power.

so im a bit confused on sparkplugs do we use the regular sparkplug and the direct hit fits over the plug and make the plug gap a bit smaller for performance larry ca

Some of these small engines use what is called the "M" plug which has a very short ceramic sticking out of the shell. These have to be repalced with ISO non-resistor spark plugs with the ceramic at or near 1" in length with a threaded top.

The DirectHits thread to this top so the length and the threaded post are essential.

Yes, attach the S80 DirectHit to the sparkplug, reduce the gap (10-15%) to get the power. If you get any missing at all reduce the gap further.
LC

drspark, re: the original post/link to the directhits kit.

do you offer the kit? if not, what spark plug #'s would you recommend as being best to work with?

Back