Direction Needed... chain tool

Zak

I ordered a chain with 10 master links for 20 bucks on Amazon. I got a chain with 10 master links and a tool, a pretty heavy one. I used it to shorten the chain and it was the easiest chain break I've ever done. It seems more can be done with it but I don't know the proper name or how to reference it. My searches come up with claw type and bicycle type.
IMG_20190705_235914.jpg

Can anyone point me a video or article that can give more information about this tool?

inspectorcritic

You got a good one the ones at Walmart are sh*t for a 4.15 or 4.20 chain had REI use the same animal on mine.
Forgot the name link extractor maybe.

Spare_Parts

When I first looked at the picture thought it was a junk tool. That one is actually nice. Most that look like that don't have the second threaded part. Just a pin that is a pita to line up. And unless you get creative all it's for is breaking chains lol.

Zak

Yeah I found some videos on a harbor freight version. Seems like it just punches chain pins.

darwin

I always ground the rivet head flat and just punched it out. LOL that was back in the 60s. Don't even know a chain breaker existed back then.

extremeodd

The style in the OP is my fav type of chain breaker for 415 and #41 chain, the on gary55 posted has never worked for me (the one on the left) for 415.#41 chain but the only one I tried was from ace and blew out its threads on the first try (potmetal BS)

gary55

The style in the OP is my fav type of chain breaker for 415 and #41 chain, the on gary55 posted has never worked for me (the one on the left) for 415.#41 chain but the only one I tried was from ace and blew out its threads on the first try (potmetal BS)
I've done hundreds of chains with both. Both work great. The one on the left works perfectly fine on 415 or #41 so I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.