Disaster at 80cc's (long read)

J

JacksonCognac

It's carnival season down here in new orleans, which means the city is a mess and motorbikin is the best way to get around town. Rolling back from a parade a couple nights ago I lost power a couple blocks away from my place. Turns out my throttle handle broke where the line clips into the plastic. Luckily we had a junker moped from the 70's in our back yard so I was able to pull off that handle the next day... I actually like the new handle more so it was a pretty cool upgrade. There are some lights and stuff on the moped I might be able to use too.

Anyhow so the next day I take a good sized trip out to the Quarter. Hung out at Harrah's and Bourbon street for a bit - just taking in the craziness. I was rollin back home, probably a good 5 miles out when suddenly my rear tire started drifting out. You probably know the feeling - I got a flat and it was a bad one - no way I could bike that sucker home - motor powered or pedal powered. Well I remember a thread on here about flats and Large Filipino said something about stuffing your tire with dirt and leaves.

Unfortunately all I had on me at the time in terms of tools was a pocket knife and an adjustable wrench and some duct tape (which was stupid - usually I keep a screw driver with me too and I should probably carry a lot more). I was able to get the wheel off using the knife as a screw driver (for the coaster break attachment) and was by a park that had a lot of dirt and leaves so I figured that I would give that method a shot.

Well it was probably around 8 pm or so and while I'm sitting on the sidewalk covered in sweat dirt and leaves trying to fix my flat and stupid #$%holes were asking me if such and such parade was running and if I had any cigarettes. I was like "uh, I am a little busy why dont you bother someone else?" :rolleyes: lol (actually I answered their questions but it's hard to not get a little hot under the collar in that situation)

So how many leaves does it take to fix a flat you may ask? Well I never quite figured that one out but I'm pretty sure the answer is a ****load. I spent a good half hour trying to cram dirt and leaves into the wheel and putting it back together - once I managed to do that I realized that I didn't have nearly enough leaves in there for it to work and trying to take the tire back off enough to put more was impossible with the tools I had on hand (he tire was full enough to make it difficult to take the tire off, but not full enough to be ridable).

So I put the wheel back on and walked her home. Took me a good 2 hours with a break in there. It sucked but you know, thats part of ridin around on a motorized bike. You gotta be ready for **** to fall off and flat tires and anything else that can happen on the road. I got my bike home ate some of the roast I had slow cookin in a crock pot for the better part of 9 hours (delicious) chugged a few beers and got to work overhaulin my bike. I'm gonna get a can of that fix a flat or mount an air pump and spare tube or SOMETHING because walkin that iron horse home is somewhat demoralizing (and back breaking :p).

So whats the moral of the story? I dunno I guess being more prepared has something to do with it but another part is sometimes you gotta be willing to sweat and bleed a bit. Motorized biking is a lot of fun and half the fun is dealing with whatever problem you are having. I joke with my friends that at any given moment my bike is 2 screw turns away from falling apart. Personally I like it like that - I like working on the bike and keeping it running. I would have LOVED to get the leaf trick to work but even when it didn't work I just chalked it up as a learning experience. Next time it will be better.

Hopefully my rambling was semi-interesting or entertaining. I just felt like writing about my biking experiences... and all this talk of biking makes me want to head out on a ride now. ;)

Nothing says The Party's Over like a flat tire. I've had two, the last one was a tire weight as big as my little finger through the rear tire. Oddly, its always the rear tire for me.

Our last parade is starting in a few minutes, meh, I may walk over.

Last edited by a moderator:
helpfull?

I use to watch this show........have not seen it for awhile "Bush mechanics"
Youtube has some good videos too if you search using the words "bush mechanics"
Learn all you need to know to get your bummed out vehicle going.
Go to the web site and look at the tricks section and mini movies.
http://www.bushmechanics.com/
Have a good day mate!

Nothing says The Party's Over like a flat tire. I've had two, the last one big was a tire weight as big as my little finger through the rear tire. Oddly, its always the rear tire for me.

Our last parade is starting in a few minutes, meh, I may walk over.

Yeah both times its been the rear tire for me. The first time I picked up a nasty 2 inch long screw. I have no idea what the 2nd one was.

And Live_to_Ride - those bush Mechanic videos are pretty funny. A couple of those cars really remind me of my bike :rolleyes:

The **** drive chain fell off my ride during the tail end of a beer run. I can't be bothered to mess with it now but I need to pull the wheel back some.

The seat on my non-motorized bicycle is messed up so I swapped it out for another seat and when I tightened it down good with a piece of hollow tubing the **** quick release snapped... looks like I need a new quick release. Will it ever end? :D

Good article Jackson...expect the best but prepare for the worst.
I keep 2 tool kits on my bike...one in the drink bottle container and the other in saddle bags.It's handy to have atleast one descent one just incase u get a flat or see some hard rubbish to disassemble.Disguarded bicycles on the side of the road also make for excellent spare parts.
Make your tyres as bulletproof as possible....good quality tyres,thorn resistant tubes,tyre liners,auto repair liquid inside the tubes.
That's about the best u can do.
I am curious though to find out how long it takes to stuff a tube with grass & leaves to get it rideable again.....if it's already stuffed ya can't do any harm stuffing it even more. :)

Thats rough guy but I think most of us have been there before. When I first started motoredbiking I mounted my HT engine on my 12 (or so) year old raleigh MTB. I was so excited to actually be able to motorize my bike that I didn't even take into account the fact that the tires and tubes were the originals that I had been riding around on for this whole time (pretty good seeing as they're not worn out yet.) It was a hot summer day which was okay while cruising at 20mph and it was my first "long" trip out on the bike doing a 2 or 3 mile circuit around some country roads where I live. At the complete opposite side of the circuit from my house I'm coming down a hill with poorly maintained pavement. You know, bumps, cracks, potholes and random gravel strewn about. Well I'm figuring thats what did the rear tire in. It blew out so bad that the tire bead released from the rim enough to let the tube escape and so now on top of a flat tire I also have rubber gnarled around the HT sprocket and chain by the time I can safely stop. I have no cutting tools on me or anything so I'm stuck lugging this thing, fully fueled, the 1 1/2 or so miles up and down hills in the shoulder dirt so as to not destroy the rim alllll the way back home. To make it worse there are farms around here so I was getting bombarded by horseflies as I was sweating my arse off dragging this thing. I wish I'd at least carried a bottle of water on me or something. It was a real rough day. Afterwards I went out and bought some extra thick tubes with slime and have had no trouble since. I've seen the tire ooze some slime since then so I know I've avoided at least one flat with that new tube. I'd like to see somebody fill their tire with that expanding foam thats used to fill cracks and keep small watercraft buoyant. It would be light, hard and never have the possibility of flats. That is as long as you could keep everything uniform. Good read thanks for letting me know my experience could have been worse... at least nobody was around to ask me questions as I labored in the heat dragging my bike back home like you had to. Later!

I had to laugh as I read your foam idea. That stuff has a lot of uses. We tried that in our rubber tired tow-motor at work for the same reasons you mentioned. The thing with that foam is that it's full of air and turns to powder/dust and won't work. Are there no solid rubber tires for bikes...that would work! I've also noticed that some electric bikes come with flat-proof tires. I think I read here about drilling a hole in rim and putting two tubes inside rim. Thats kind of cool!

I ride during my lunch break close to down town Fort Worth. I used to ride the wide shoulders until I sliced my rear tire on broken glass. I had not been stopped for 5 minutes when 1 elderly woman, and 2 different guys in pick-ups pulled over to offer me and my bike a ride back to work. Pretty cool. I had my cell phone and had someone on the way to get me though.
I used that expansion foam once to fill the expansion seams in my driveway to keep the grass from growing there. The exposure to the elements turned it to dust in a few months. I couldn't see putting any pressure on it. They used to make solid tubes for kids bikes, wouldn't hurt to look.

I have a warm feeling inside. People actually read what I type! That's so awesome. Thank you for the recognition!
My fix is no more flats solid rubber yo. Yea it has drawbacks like ride is not as smooth but flat tires no more. That beats all.
But if your riding tubes remember that you are riding your tire at sustained speeds. When your tire rolls at sustained speeds heat builds up. This is what blows your tube to smitherines (And I think that gel has a lot to do with it too). So DROP YOUR PRESSURE about 5 pounds lower than reccomended pressure.
I keep a tool pouch that has EVERYTHING I can think of in there. I don't need tire tools though for I have solid tires.

jeeze!

Of course we read your stuff Large Filipino....group hug big guy.
Like I said before, this forum "Rocks" at way over 90 decibels!

Back