Brakes Disc Brakes for a Beach Cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the 4" tire bike is out of the question and has to be returned to Kmart. So I went to Walmart to look at what they had in stock and one mountain bike seemed good to my untrained eye. The reason it looks good to me is there's plenty of room for the kit to fit in the frame. Also there's a front disc brake but the back is a caliper brake. I'm posting a a couple of pics I took while at Walmart. Has anyone heard any issues regarding this bike or does anyone see any problems I may run into? Hope this one is a winner cause I'm trying to get riding ASAP (the city I live in has about 2 months of nice weather). Thanks fellas!!

Attachments

• IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 225
OK heres my 2 cents. It's a 29er. Top speed will be good, but getting there will take a while. I prefer getting up to speed a little quicker even if it's not as high. A larger than stock sprocket can correct this, but the chain stays on this bike curve in rapidly and will probably restrict you from going to a larger sprocket. Alignment of the roller on the chain tensioner will need a bit of creativity as well due to the sharp angle of the chain stays. I'm a 26" cruiser guy. That's not to say this bike can't be used, but I would look a bit more before you settle on it.

Ok so the 4" tire bike is out of the question and has to be returned to Kmart. So I went to Walmart to look at what they had in stock and one mountain bike seemed good to my untrained eye. The reason it looks good to me is there's plenty of room for the kit to fit in the frame. Also there's a front disc brake but the back is a caliper brake. I'm posting a a couple of pics I took while at Walmart. Has anyone heard any issues regarding this bike or does anyone see any problems I may run into? Hope this one is a winner cause I'm trying to get riding ASAP (the city I live in has about 2 months of nice weather). Thanks fellas!!
48 spoke rear wheel without disc rotor compatible hub. No no no. You need 36 spokes, or a disc rotor compatible hub.

Also, I am repeating myself but a rigid fork will be stiffer than any low price telescopic. Even the cheapest crappiest not-really-suspension telescopic fork takes away from the amount the manufacturer can spend on other components to meet the same price point so I will always say that a low price bike is best having no suspension at all. It's actually quite fashionable to have rigid frame and fork on a 29er at the moment even riding off road. So-called urban 26" mountain bikes often have a rigid fork too because it is much stiffer and lighter and doesn't waste the small budget that is needed for other components.

48 spoke rear wheel without disc rotor compatible hub. No no no. You need 36 spokes, or a disc rotor compatible hub.

Also, I am repeating myself but a rigid fork will be stiffer than any low price telescopic. Even the cheapest crappiest not-really-suspension telescopic fork takes away from the amount the manufacturer can spend on other components to meet the same price point so I will always say that a low price bike is best having no suspension at all. It's actually quite fashionable to have rigid frame and fork on a 29er at the moment even riding off road. So-called urban 26" mountain bikes often have a rigid fork too because it is much stiffer and lighter and doesn't waste the small budget that is needed for other components.
Ya I missed the spoke count. Should known being a 29er. I kind of understand your point on the forks. Especially form strictly as a bicycle point of view. What I see as a plus in the suspension with the ten pound chunk of metal bolted into a frame where is was never ment to be stressed in such a way is that it's nice to have a little shock buffer form all the sudden jars and jolts of rigid forks. Even more so with a cheap thin walled frame.

Gary is right that the chain will hit the upper stays even with a stock gear! I tried one of those frames once no good!

Ya I missed the spoke count. Should known being a 29er. I kind of understand your point on the forks. Especially form strictly as a bicycle point of view. What I see as a plus in the suspension with the ten pound chunk of metal bolted into a frame where is was never ment to be stressed in such a way is that it's nice to have a little shock buffer form all the sudden jars and jolts of rigid forks. Even more so with a cheap thin walled frame.
Yah but suspension doesn't seem to work at all under £100 new, and only gets good over £200 new. At under £50 new there's not just a crap damping (suspension action) but also the loss of stiffness, flexy steering, flexing sideways. And as I said even if the fork only accounts for £50 of the complete bike price, the same price bike has £30 better wheels or peripheral components.

Ok this may seem stupid but could I some how use mag wheels?

Attachments

• IMG_2592.PNG
    IMG_2592.PNG
    371.2 KB · Views: 264
I looked at the local department stores and can only find a few potential bikes. Here's another one. I've been looking on Craigslist and similar sites but I'm finding nothing. It's really difficult due to my inexperience. But I never give up.

Attachments

• IMG_2593.PNG
    IMG_2593.PNG
    277.1 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back