Sprockets Disc mount template?

azbill

Local time
10:03 AM
Hey all,
I am trying to mount a sprocket to a disc hub and really need a template of the bolt pattern
I blew my cash on buying the wheel and don't want to buy a rotor just to trace the holes
so, If anyone here has a disc rotor and could trace the pattern and send it to me, it would be greatly appreciated

or, if someone could point me to a site with a to-scale drawing or something

or even a better suggestion on how to mark the pattern (needs to be cheap, because I am broke)

international standard 6 hole 44mm bcd (bcd= bolt center diameter)(5.5mm bolt center to center)
i was thinking to try to do it with a ruler and protractor, but already drilled 1 sprocket wrong...so am leary of trying again

thanks for helping :D

How about painting the mating surface on the hub with tempa (?) waterbased paint, mixed thick and pressing the sprocket to it. wipe the paint off the hub and let it dry on the sprocket, mark and drill.

EDIT: Or just use some white glue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mickey has a great idea there, or maybe some carbon paper if they still make it.
Maybe a dark crayon from the kids toy box.

Last edited by a moderator:
international standard 6 hole 44mm bcd (bcd= bolt center diameter)(5.5mm bolt center to center)
i was thinking to try to do it with a ruler and protractor, but already drilled 1 sprocket wrong...so am leary of trying again

thanks for helping :D

It seems to me with the info you have and a compass and metric scale you should be able to make the template yourself. Or you could just use a piece of paper and a pencil. Lay the paper on your hub and lightly color the pencil over each hole and you should get an impression. Last but not least I'm sure your local bike shop would let you use a disc rotor to make a paper or cardboard template, without having to buy the rotor.

scully

that's what I'm gonna try
trace the sprocket hole, cut it out
then position the paper and do a pencil rubbing of the holes
thanks for the earlier tips guys...I have more $$$ in the wheel than the bike cost, so I didn't want to paint the hub (but it was a good idea)
(my lbs is mad cause I bought the wheel on e-bay and a used cassette off craigs and not from them :LOL:)

go to your local bike shop and ask if you can trace on of thier brake discs. drill some holes, problem solved.

HI
If you have a Fax # I'd be happy to Fax you a copy of one of our sprockets (has both the 6 hole disc mount and the standard HD 9 hole mount just in case). NOTE: Most frames work fine with the disc hub mounted sprocket but on some frames there may be a need to re-dish/space the wheel for better chain alignment (hub mounted sprocket is further out from the wheel than the 9 hole mount)...Also you may have to re-space if there is sprocket or chain interference with the rear wheel stays....a lot of these issues may or may not be present in your case tho....really frame dependent.
Hope this helps you.
Andrew

Back