Disguising an engine

Motor, I will try to explain:
Rules are generally meant to protect people, some rules are stupid, like a stop sign instead of a yield sign. A carryover from the horse and buggy - car hating days.
There are laws which, when you break them and are caught doing it, can create a lot of wasted money and time. Some of us prefer to avoid all that.
To not be noticed is the first step in avoiding problems.

As far as theft, that's what insurance is for. My bike is for pleasure only. It's hardly ever out of site when I'm riding. I might stop and go into a convenience store or something like that. I have never been in a place where I thought I needed to lock it up, but I usually ride with a back pack with 2 chain locks in it in case I feel the need to lock it up. And of course I would chain it to a solid object so someone couldn't throw it into the back of a car or truck and get away in a hurry. Heck, a razor blade to the convertible top on my car would cost a lot more to replace than my bicycle !

Motor, I will try to explain:
Rules are generally meant to protect people, some rules are stupid, like a stop sign instead of a yield sign. A carryover from the horse and buggy - car hating days.
There are laws which, when you break them and are caught doing it, can create a lot of wasted money and time. Some of us prefer to avoid all that.
To not be noticed is the first step in avoiding problems.

so what you're saying is to blow the stop sign because there are no cops around to see you do it?
"to not be noticed is the first step in avoiding problems."

What I am saying is a motor cover is a first step in not being noticed. Riding like you are on a bicycle, wearing safety gear are other steps.

I understand what you are saying, but i don't understand your thinking.
I'm so glad that i don't have to worry about this sort of thing, and being paranoid about riding a bike with a motor on it.
hiding your engine under a cover, will just increase heat, and shorten your engine life.
Not only that, but on hot days, it will more than likely vapor lock and not run at all. plus, you would have to hide the engine noise and the exhaust noise as well.
i guess i just don't understand why someone would bother trying to hide their motor.
If you go through all the trouble to put it on there, and then want to hide it...why did you bother putting it on in the first place?

oh, and if you think the nylon bag idea will work, go for it.
I give it 10 minutes before it's a melted pile of goo.

Last edited:
Both you guys are quite wrong about engine heat.
As long as there is flow, the engine runs no hotter than an unshielded engine. My oil temp after a ride in 72 degree air was 180. Totally acceptable. Your car runs hotter than that.
Why bother hiding it? Because I want the effect of the engine, not the appearance.
If I lived out of geatapo land I would let it all hang out!

yeah,well go put a bag over the radiator in your car and see how hot it gets.

i bet when that robin motor is heated up,you wont hold your hand by the head where the heat comes out for very long.he probably does have enough air flow to be fine but still,the motor WILL run hotter.

Eastwood, you were not listening. I said as long as there is flow (of air) the engine runs no hotter. What part of 180 degrees do you not understand?

Back