Brakes Ditch those caliper brakes.

The oddysey Pit Bull! I had forgotten about those! I wonder if they will fit on road racing bicycles from yesteryear.
The type you are describing is a version that mounted to the brake-post hole where conventional calipers would mount up.

The type shown below used dedicated frame bosses, much like U-brakes and V-brakes (the locations are different. Each brake cannot be interchanged on the other type of bicycle)
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/lofiversion/index.php/t3010707.html
I think those were called roller-cam brakes.
Roller_Cam_Bicycle_Brake_Front_crop.JPG

More about old brakes : http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/lofiversion/index.php/t3010707.html
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/brake_obscura/mtb.html

They have a lot of power and aren't too heavy, but they are probably not as convenient for the manufacturers as the v-brakes.
Beware that there was a PitBull brake sold that mounts on the cantilever bosses. I thought I found one of the adapter-brakes on ebay, but the seller said it does not mount by the drilled hole; it goes on studs. Oh well.

I would like one of those if they will fit a standard beach cruiser 26" rigid fork.

I think i'll just shop around for a yardsale or police auction bike and switch parts. If I find a cool bike I'll move everything over. If I find a busted bike with a good beefy rigid fork and working v brakes, that would do it.

Last edited:
One of my motorbikes used to use a caliper brake on the front, which unfortunately resulted in painfully slow stops. I switched to some expensive pads from the local bike shop but I saw little improvement until I put a Spinner Grind front fork on the bike and installed a v-brake. Even the stock Chinese pads on this v-brake work much better the old caliper brake with quality pads. My next goal is to install a hydraulic disc brake on the front fork and move the v-brake to the rear with an adapter from Dans Comp. Hopefully, this brake arrangement will turn a safety hazard into a great stopping experience. :)

If you want to convert to v-brakes on a rigid fork, try calling some local bike shops (close enough to pick up in person, or for cheap shipping should they offer shipping). I bet a lot of BMX and mountain bike shops will stock new and used rigid 26" touring forks with v-brake studs, and might even have some leftover Tektro or other v-brakes from people's upgrades. The coolest shops always have bargain bins and leftovers for the poor kids and the budget bikers.

file.php

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=10536&sid=82d9c13bb4c0fd742c6f11fa2ee33192
fork crown mounted v-brake adapter with hose clamps.

Ugly! But effective, no doubt. The arch probably helps too.

Last edited:
oddity brake set

I remember working on those brakes back in the day. they were horrible, now part of the problem back then was that the brakes were put down under the chain stays by the bottom bracket. still they are easily out done by a cheep set of Tecktro V brakes. You do need to use V brakes with the corresponding lever or they wont stop very well.

There was one gal I remember who set herself up with a new set of V brakes on her cross bike and she had a standard set of drop bar brake levers I can only imagine how badly that system worked for her. I have a special set of drop bar levers just to make them work with cantilevers.

mike

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Great discussion on that oh so important part of setting up a safe mb. Just my $.02, I like the Shimano Acera V brakes better than Tektros. Set up w/ a basic coil spring mountain bike suspension fork makes for a comfortable and safe ride.

Hi Happy, the Tektros I've used aren't as smooth at returning to proper position after brake release and seem to require frequent adjustment. I've set up three sets of Aceras w/o that issue. But, to be fair, I may have just got a bum set of Tektros from the LBS. Only tried the one set.

I haven't ridden with the set I've just bought, yet, but I've used the Tektros before on a BMX. They seemed okay to me, with strong springs, and typical brass bushings many v-brakes use. They need a dab of grease for the posts, upon installation. I got it for $15 with a matching lever and 2 cables from Danscomp. I like to pinch pennies, but the shipping was free, and its the only place I know with the v-brake adapter plates.

Perhaps you had a sticky cable, or binding caused by uneven brake bosses.
I've had that issue before. Its usually fixed by adding a small washer, if the brake spring pin can still engage, and using a higher spring return tension on the brake.

Ps, a little bit of lube where the straight spring contacts the brake arm (near the top), helps return operation. The aluminum will wear a little there from use.

Last edited:
I am planning on using direct pulls on the front and a coaster brake on the back.... Am I headed for trouble? Please be honest with me, I would like to be able to get this new build to stop once I get up to speed.

Back