Ditch those front fenders folks...

Navrothian

Local time
4:52 AM
Just got my bell rang pretty good

Front fender came loose. Hooked front tire and locked it up solid.

Helmet saved my life.

Great deal of pain, on some meds, few days off work. Handlebars are ruined, rearview mirror destroyed throttle housing smashed. But im alive.

Please guys check or ditch your fenders. My weld let go, so nothing a bolt tighten would have fixed.

Pics of the bike and helmet tomorrow

Be safe

Pics

Attachments

• 20170604_163038.jpg
    20170604_163038.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 199
  • 20170604_163046.jpg
    20170604_163046.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20170604_163052.jpg
    20170604_163052.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 162
Damn.. Sorry to hear that. We definitely need more safety and reliability discussions in the MB community. Fenders are getting more and more cheap, especially on walmart bikes where they are often held on by a single, flimsy tab. This kind of fender is probably the best bet for these bikes: https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Mud-X-Front-Bicycle-Fender/dp/B000X5ZK6Q/

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You are absolutely right. Those fenders are too cheap to put on a motorized bicycle.

Hard to determine the chance of failure during pre flight checklist.

Thanks for stopping in. Be safe.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and thank goodness for that helmet. Man, that thing got beat up hard but better that than your noggen. After watching the Russian front fender fail video where the guy literally did a front frontal flip, I used clamps and a few wires to remount the front fender so that it will never come off without multiple points of strong attachment failure. Yes, the front wheel lock up is extremely dangerous due to the flipping/gravity situation. I had the rear wheel lock up once at speed (27mph) and it was a scary scid but nothing that I couldn't calmly bear or at worse slide ditch the bike.

Glad you are OK, dude! Tough way to learn!

Take a look at motorcycle fenders: those things are bolted on. I think the best route is to remove the factory junk fenders and then, get creative with safety and function in mind.

Though I have zero experience with fiberglass, the way to go would be a custom fiberglass fender with embedded studs/ anchors for nuts/ bolts. How hard can it be once you've determined solid attachment points?

Pretty sure im going to order the fender posted above.

Looks simple and clean, and if it fails its behind the bike, with no chance of locking wheel up.

Cheers guys and gals

Back