DIY cable making

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my soldering (small electrical) I just buy solder with a flux core.
You don't run into the need to smother large sections of material in flux, or the need to add more while heating up parts to take solder (which oxidizes the surfaces before you even get to put solder on it if you don't flux..)

Iron tips last longer if you flux the part separately from the solder, simply because non fluxed solders don't corrode the tip nearly as bad. For those who don't know flux is incredibly corrosive, a lot of copper parts I work on I use water soluble flux just so I can easily clean the flux off and not think about the brilliant green color acid and rosin fluxes cause copper to change to with enough time.

You don't run into the need to smother large sections of material in flux, or the need to add more while heating up parts to take solder (which oxidizes the surfaces before you even get to put solder on it if you don't flux..)

Iron tips last longer if you flux the part separately from the solder, simply because non fluxed solders don't corrode the tip nearly as bad. For those who don't know flux is incredibly corrosive, a lot of copper parts I work on I use water soluble flux just so I can easily clean the flux off and not think about the brilliant green color acid and rosin fluxes cause copper to change to with enough time.

I’ve always cleaned my circuit boards etc but would not cleaning one cause problems?

I have used 3in1 oil or graphite lock lube on my cables forever. I like the graphite better but sometimes it wants to hide from me. It doesn't gum up, collect dirt or freeze in the winter.

I used to use 1/8 rivets for cable ends but soldering is in my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back