DIY chain tensioner

bike4life

Local time
5:17 AM
After getting burned still gonna finish the jackshaft project lol. Here’s a chain tensioner system I welded on and can be adjusted via bolts. Unfortunately it is now taking longer b/c I can only work in the shop when parents not home otherwise they will freak out.

Attachments

• 3AE06AC6-74F1-4A38-9C17-0D87BC37B4FC.jpeg
    3AE06AC6-74F1-4A38-9C17-0D87BC37B4FC.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 155
  • 547982A0-CF8C-4B18-9D31-C91CB2DA0215.jpeg
    547982A0-CF8C-4B18-9D31-C91CB2DA0215.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 153
I see problems in your future. With the tensioner on the tension side of the chain, all the engine power runs thru it, and the slack side (where you want the tensioner to be) is still slack. The power will pull on that tensioner, and probably drag it right into the tire. At the very least, support the front end of the tensioner bracket to prevent that.

Of course, the chain will suck your pants into it before that happens. Hope you've got a good helmet.

I see problems in your future. With the tensioner on the tension side of the chain, all the engine power runs thru it, and the slack side (where you want the tensioner to be) is still slack. The power will pull on that tensioner, and probably drag it right into the tire. At the very least, support the front end of the tensioner bracket to prevent that.

Of course, the chain will suck your pants into it before that happens. Hope you've got a good helmet.
no the side is slack b/c the top bearing system with the gear reduction is spring clamped into place, not welded on YET.... I assure u that with the thing welded on, there will be no slack, as when it was pipe clamped on in the right spot for testing purposes, there was 0 slack.
Also, I allready built a sheet metal enclosure so my pants dont get sucked in, but with it installed, u cant see much in the picture lol...

Also i dont understand how the power will pull the tensioner into the tire. Its bracket and stuff is welded in place and the tensioner is attached with 2 1/4" bolts. I know my welding isnt good but i plan on grinding some of the shoddy stuff and redoing. Plus it was stick with 6011, so even if i screwed up that stuff penetrates deep and itsnt surface stuff like mig.

Last edited:
Because your tensioner is on the pull side of the setup. So every single inch pound of torque you are transferring to the bottom sprocket will also pull on that tensioner and small pulley. If it was on the other side, the harder you pulled on the chain to accelerate would make less pressure on that tensioner.

Lots of spinning shafts, sprockets, and chains right by "the boys" on that setup. I know you said you have a sheet metal enclosure but be safe man.

glad your back!
i would move the shaft lower, like right under the engine.
but other than that, it looks good!

glad your back!
i would move the shaft lower, like right under the engine.
but other than that, it looks good!
thanks!!!!!
You know i should move it under the engine... But ya know, that would be a lot of work, but hey.... its probably worth a try.
I literally built the whole bike around the idea of having the shaft in the top, so i would have to scrap a lot of stuff and restart. Is it worth it, lol, just need to get your opinions fast!!!!
Id guess it would be a lot safer that way, even if i built a squirrel cage around the top thing lol?
Lets vote, who thinks i should move it down or keep it where it is w/ a squrrel cage.

Last edited:
thanks!!!!!
You know i should move it under the engine... But ya know, that would be a lot of work, but hey.... its probably worth a try.
Id guess it would be a lot safer that way, even if i built a squirrel cage lol?
I mean, other than shorting the chain, and making different mounts, it should just clear!
Yea even if you built the squirtle cage, where are you going to sit lol. I think it might of been better to buy the kit but, it's fun to try ( even though I'm I'm the process of building a motorized scooter, it's going to look worse than that lol)

I mean, other than shorting the chain, and making different mounts, it should just clear!
Yea even if you built the squirtle cage, where are you going to sit lol. I think it might of been better to buy the kit but, it's fun to try ( even though I'm I'm the process of building a motorized scooter, it's going to look worse than that lol)
u know b/c of my budget and stinginess, i am gonna not buy a kit. i will prolly move it lower and weld it and then remount the motor on a different slant of angle iron...

Back