DIY E-Bike

INTP_ty

Local time
4:27 AM
My gas bike doesn't fit my temperament. What do I need to know?

Mid drive > hub for torque
Minimum speed of 25 mph.
50 mile minimum range

Is it best that I make the battery bank on my own? I suppose such a thing would run $500?

Charge time? What other elements are there to know?

Last edited:
Rated Discharging Amperage and Life Cycle are my two key statistics along with making sure you have the right battery (voltage). You will be surprised at the differences in the rated discharge amperage across battery prices. You want one to meet or exceed the power of your electric motor. I would not make my own battery bank if you have no electrical experience but that is just me.

This is most of my E bike experience:
56519-668adad4d26a747af10c33c07f5a4398.jpg

Don't believe the China Girl. It is just propped there as a test fit.
Dual SLA batteries getting worn, gets 10miles range on batteries alone at about 17mph.
I ride it a lot and long distance, saving the battery power for the hills and using it carefully.
The Sealed Lead Acid batteries are very heavy (20-30 lbs?) and with a trickle charger take 4-6 hrs to charge.
Charge time is not really a problem but the weight is.
Also low speed torque is poor in sand or on steep hills. I'd love to have it mid-drive and geared.
I actually like this bike very much as is. It is my city bike and a joy in parks where most motorized vehicles are not allowed.

56520-6b0a2c0fa4acddb265a38f3c492ba21c.jpg

This beauty (yuk!) is a center drive. It runs on 36v (pictured with only 2 12v Lithium battery packs) it will run for about 4 miles on battery alone at about 15mph. doesn't sound great but the 3 batteries weigh about 5 lbs. It is a great on steep hills and sand.

components (big three) will run you at least a grand, probably a grand and a half. expect to shell out 600+ for the battery alone.

Build your own battery, it can be done for about $150 maybe less and that is a 48v with a 20+ mile range. The non geared hub type motors are the most efficient and cheapest on the market $150-200 get the base model and then upgrade the controller to a sine wave with LCD about $100 more.

Back