DIY fix for busted throttle?

zanygirl

Local time
9:22 AM
Ok... Just got my first build up and kind of running. One problem though, the bit inside the throttle that is supposed to hold the cable in place is broken. I think I may have hauled on it too hard or something the other day while attempting to start my bike.

View attachment 58979 SSPX0117.jpg

Looked at sickbikeparts.com and found a replacement throttle assembly for ~19$. However, I would prefer to futz around with my current throttle instead of having to wait for a new part in the mail... Suggestions? I'm out of ideas for now. GRRRRRR!

Not fixable...........

The sickbikeparts.com throttle and cable is a great deal and upgrade.

I sell motor kits locally in Socal and charge about $5 for that part.

Please post a side view of your bike.

First, order a new throttle and cable as the fix I will suggest next should not be used long term because you will not be able to remove the cable..

Next, use epoxy or similar to hold the cable head into place and ride until your replacement comes in.

First, order a new throttle and cable as the fix I will suggest next should not be used long term because you will not be able to remove the cable..

Next, use epoxy or similar to hold the cable head into place and ride until your replacement comes in.
Easier would be to use a brake lever as a temporary throttle.

Well crap! Thanks guys... I had a feeling.

Will try the brake lever idea first. I think I have a few lying around.

hard to tell from pic, but if there's enough meat left of the nylon, you might just drill a new seat for the cable barrel - also possible to just get enough to make a stop for the barrel & tie it into the groove with safety wire

Broke mine on assembly. Just put some hot glue on it and filed the excess off the sides so it turns smoothly. The new one came but I think Ill just keep it in my backpack until the first one breaks.

Here's something that you can do. Take a standard 'twist' shifter and pull out the little bit of metal that makes it 'ratchet'. Run a cable from there down to somewhere on the top tube. At that point, meet up with the existing throttle cable and cut both so that they meet plus some overlap. Fasten the two together.

One way to do this is to take two short, narrow strips of steel (maybe 1/2 inch x 2 inch), and drill two holes in the ends. Sandwich the two cable ends between them and bolt together.

Now this whole span will be missing the cable sheaths, of course. So you'll need to fasten things down a bit. I did it using a couple of corner braces. I had the sheaths end right at this point. With the cables passing through a couple of tiny holes I drilled in the corner braces.

But I'll bet you could hose clamp the sheath ends to the top tube and let the spliced cable sit in between.

ive used mine in worse condition than that!

all previous suggestions are good. brake lever is great, if you get a dual brake lever as well. it does get a tad messy having four levers to deal with.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Installed an old brake lever until I have a better idea. So far it works great! I managed to ride a few miles around the lake and turn a few heads. You'd think some people had never seen a bike with a motor on it before. The look of confusion/surprise on their faces when you pass them is priceless!

Back