DIY Homemade DC Welder

If he liked welding with a couple of batteries. Repacement Batteries cost money $
I bet he has bought a $150 welder by now
I bet he loves his new welder.
That is, if he ain't blind by now lol.

I put some power taps in my ebike battery at some different points to do this. Haven’t tried it yet, need to set up a connector board for it.

I'm a welder, I have never welded with batteries
To weld with batteries should only be done in an emergency and then ya Pray it holds un till ya can get it welded right.
There is a lot more to welding than just sticking two pieces of metal together with some other kind of metal
If ya really want a good strong weld. Have it done professionally.
To Weld with Lithium Batteries GOOD LUCK. When ya feed the power back into a Lithium Battery that's when they blow. An E Bike Lithium Battery can kill you or burn your house down.
Learn how to weld with batteries if ya want to.
I think your all CrAzY if ya trust the welds.
Not recommended as a way to properly weld.

Last edited:
Over drawing lithium batteries usually just melts off the terminals. Over charging and over discharging are when things get dangerous.

Crazy or genius?

It’s been used to jump a car on 4s (15v), of course I had to remove the bodywork to gain access to the battery. Probably never use it to weld. It’s a work in progress.

Wrench, agree with everything you wrote. Including that it’s a bad idea with lithium batteries. But these batteries do not blow. I’ve sacrificed a few higher IR cells to find out and shorting them does nothing but puff them up. Also the pack is rated for 600A peak. I think I’m ok.

Back