DIY Indicators

MCM Electronics has some cheap aluminum 9-LED flashlights (on sale right now for $3)

You could buy a pair of them, replace the clear plexiglass with red plexi, or use a red permanent marker on the inside of the plexi. The head, which contains the LEDs, threads on to the battery tube. So, cut the battery tube in half with a hacksaw, drill two holes in the side of a short piece of PVC & epoxy the cut tube into the holes. (ref the sketch below.) Power the two flashlight heads from your 555 'flasher' circuit. There should be enough room inside the PVC to mount the circuitry - just pull three wires outside the tube, one for ground, and the other two from your left/right switches.

The flashlight heads only need 4.5 volts, and are quite bright. They should be easily seen in the day time.

Now, a 555 IC may not be able to pass enough current for all the LEDs you driving (or for the 9 LED flashlights, either.) You may need to add an output transistor to the circuit.

Thanks for that but i already got some car indicator lights, there pretty bright. All i gotta do is make the bracket to hold the light, just havent had time to do it yet.

Thanks, loquin. I've seen that one. The only real detraction is the lack of separation of the left and right indicators. It would be hard for a motorist behind you to know which direction you intend to turn. I need to find indicators that will force them to hang up the phone and pay attention. :rolleyes:

It is an ideal candidate for modification, though. It shouldn't be hard to use the handlebar mounted head to control separate left, right and brake indicators. The included brake sensor is a definite plus. But I don't know without examining one if the logic circuits extend to the rear housing or are confined to the handlebar control or which one the brake sensor connects to.

Brake light position is a no-brainer, but turn indicators (IMHO) should be separated as much as possible, even so far as the handlebar ends. That would allow viewing from 180°, front, side and rear, but not from the other side of the bike. Handlebar end indicators would also eliminate the need for duplicate front and rear indicators.

If I decide to modify this unit I'll write a "How To".

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
well i havent had time or couldnt really be bothered putting on the indicators lately but the last 2 days i worked on em. I got a straight piece of aluminium, drilled a few holes and a few bends and mounted it on. The width of the bar when mounted on the bike is a little smaller than the width of the handlebars. The indicators are like 40cm apart so people can tell if im going right or left. The indicators really finish off the look of the bike, it really looks nice now. Ill get some pics up tomorrow, ill have it finished by monday or tuesday, maybe earlier if i got time on the weekend. I need to make a little box for the battery to sit in but i can hook up the electronics on the weekend.

Back