DIY sprocket adapter

Wheel building looks like fun!
I have kept a scrappy wheel so I can try disassembling and rebuilding it without the risk of screwing up anything valuable. I really need to learn this skill.
I just haven't got around to trying.. because.. life. :rolleyes:
It's like using a snowblower, the whole task is a pain in the ass but still oddly satisfying once you've gotten to the end result. I guess it's like realizing you didn't have to use a shovel at all to do what you did, or like realizing that building a wheel is easier than you thought and the fact you didn't have to pay anyone for the wheel to be made exactly to what you needed, and you can do it all again and again and again without feeling much at all except satisfied lol.

In this case it's more mesmerizing like painting is, totally brainless work, easy, easy to screw up, and the end result is what it is! As good or bad as you decided to put the effort towards.

Last edited:
1AC949E6-FEEF-4FD8-860F-C3E8B6B0FB66.jpeg

It’s on. Now it looks like I’m going to have to shift the engine over ...doh!

Yeah that sprocket wants to be right up close to the spokes. You can use a top hat adapter and a different type of sprocket that will fit past the rotor mount and is compatible with the top hat, or get a second sprocket to make your own adapter.
I had to make my own adapter and I did it differently but it looks okay to make it from two sprockets. Gary55 has a photo of one done that way.

Yeah that sprocket wants to be right up close to the spokes. You can use a top hat adapter and a different type of sprocket that will fit past the rotor mount and is compatible with the top hat, or get a second sprocket to make your own adapter.

You ever get worried about one of those head studs getting lose & catching on your frame at 40mph?

& you are using a quick release on the rear?! I was going to swap out axles but if you guys are getting away with it...

I think I might just take the engine out & weld up mounting brackets. I never liked those U-mounts anyways. Too “dollar tree” for me

You ever get worried about one of those head studs getting lose & catching on your frame at 40mph?
With a top speed of 37.27mph, no. Hehe. ;)
I used a lot of torque tightening those M10 bolts and nuts anyway, and a lot of blue loctite threadlocker too.

& you are using a quick release on the rear?! I was going to swap out axles but if you guys are getting away with it.
They are Shimano, enclosed cam quick release skewers with steel threaded nuts, so they are very tight. I would not use the cheap/lightweight open cam style of quick release skewers. There are also allen key skewers, I have some but I'm saving them for my shifter build.

I think I might just take the engine out & weld up mounting brackets. I never liked those U-mounts anyways. Too “dollar tree” for me
I don't know if offsetting the engine would work well. I think it depends on whether you need the chainline in close to clear the stays.
I like the engine centred in the frame anyway. It fits between the crank arms. :)

You wanted diy, that'd be the answer. Some scrap metal (being you probably don't want to hack up another sprocket unless it's a spare) and careful measuring/copying and cutting, if you are particularly clever you can still use the rear disk brake.

Back