do expansion chambers really work?

Bikeuser

Local time
12:40 AM
title says it all. I don't think expansion chambers work for the low RPM's HT engines make. if you have experience with an aftermarket exhuast chime in.

title says it all. I don't think expansion chambers work for the low RPM's HT engines make. if you have experience with an aftermarket exhuast chime in.

I have to disagree I put one on my 48cc HT and I love it. I paid all of $20. including shipping, so I wouldnt lose much if it didnt work. I dont know that it does much for the high end but low end torque is unbelieveable.. I have been told the reason the low end is good, and the high end is not like it should be is I am running such a long header. I am now in the process of dialing in a 18mm mikuni carb. It is sooooo much better than the stock carb, so much smoother, and I believe I will be able to pickup the top end when I get the jetting right...

Yep, I love mine! It looks great but the low end torque is excellent! I've got a 44 tooth sprocket on the back and with WOT and a bit of pedalling you really have to hold on quite a bit from the acceleration. Each expansion chamber is tuned perfectly to the engine it is designed for, so you cant just stick on any old pipe, your best bet is fitting a pocket bike pipe to it if you have a 48cc, thats your closest bet.

Fastboy

Hi,

Yes, A properly designed tuned pipe / expansion chamber will make for remarkable power increases on any 2 stroke....HT included! ;-)

Andrew

They are far and away the most cost effective means of getting performance out of any 2 stroke. As long as they are set up correctly. If they are not they can be worse than the stock pipe.

Surely if you had more low down torque you could just use a much smaller sprocket, thus saving excessive engine wear at high RPM's.

BSA

Back