Do I dare...

There's a big difference between someone that's done it for years with a feel for it and a beginner. I bought a stand, wrench, dish tool, and tension tool for around a $120. All are very basic nothing fancy about them. With the tools I use, I can generally get a wheel within 1 mm of movement both vertical and horizontal.
I had to start somewhere and didn't have any of that stuff then. I was a self taught wheel guy, and the learning curve was fun. First time I had to true a wheel, I think it took me like 5 or 6 hours.

With really thin spokes, I would want a tension tool of I had a choice.

I had to start somewhere and didn't have any of that stuff then. I was a self taught wheel guy, and the learning curve was fun. First time I had to true a wheel, I think it took me like 5 or 6 hours.

With really thin spokes, I would want a tension tool of I had a choice.
Yeah, I learned how to true wheels.when I restored a 70s 3spd igh bike. The front wheel was missing 3 spokes on one side and had a bad wobble. I also re tried the rear wheel on my old bike 2 times, once when I built it and once when I hit a pot hole.

I've gone for 20 / 30 mile trips (hands get numb). Just make sure you have a buddy or someone you can call to come pick you up as an absolute last resort. I always bring with me the tools needed to fix the most common issues ( all sizes wrench, allen keys, etc, an extra chain and master link as well as standard tools like vice grips, pliers, flat head / phillips screw drivers etc). Although I've gotten lucky and my very first build hasn't left me stranded yet. At least 600 miles or so and the only thing I've had to replace is the tensioner bearing (I have the case mounted spring loaded style).

Back