Do I need a hotter plug??

First off, I would like to say thank you guys for taking the time to help me with my issue. Turns out, Karl you was right ( sure that's not the first time! ). After you said it sounds like a lean condition, I began to look further, and last night during my plug chop adventure, I noticed as I pulled the clutch in my idle was slowly creeping back down. Today, I decided maybe I should check my base gasket, and intake gasket for possible tears. Sure enough the base gasket was torn. Installed a new one and just went for a ride, problems are solved! Here is my plug after today's 5 mile ride.
From the looks maybe one step cooler or just a little bit richer on the needle. Id move the needle up a notch and recheck. Not looking to bad though. Glad ya got the problem found and fixed. I love happy endings.

I will definitely check that out. Thank you again.
Just a little add-on statement here...sometimes a lot of issues can arise by lowering the stock compression head a bit. Unfortunately the way they're designed, they're meant to stay at the factory height. So you should see even more improvement once you install that new compression head.

I agree with you there, I didn't realize the problems that could arise by changing the deck height. It's more than just take a little off here and, bam! Fuel and air ratios change with compression, along with many other variables. That's why I sought help here, because I knew I was in over my head. Thankfully Karl saved me from a lean nightmare that would've cost me a fortune trying to figure out. Lesson learned!

I agree with you there, I didn't realize the problems that could arise by changing the deck height. It's more than just take a little off here and, bam! Fuel and air ratios change with compression, along with many other variables. That's why I sought help here, because I knew I was in over my head. Thankfully Karl saved me from a lean nightmare that would've cost me a fortune trying to figure out. Lesson learned!
Oh also, little tip, once you get that new compression head and get that sweet sweet high compression you're wanting. You'll possibly notice some more vibration and even a little less power. To fix this, make sure to use at least 91 octane fuel, preferably 93 octane. 87 octane fuel at those levels of compression will pre-ignite, AKA detonation (sounds nasty, but really isn't too bad other than reduce power). The high octane fuel can be compressed more without igniting early, meaning if utilized in an engine with high compression, it can provide further performance :)

Maybe not a fortune, but a jug and rings at least. Lol. There are guys on here with a lot more knowledge than me. I just like to pay it forward, they helped me get mine right so I pass what they taught me on. Some really intelligent guys in this forum. You'll meet them all as time goes by. Just remember if some of them sound a little snippy, they really aren't, they just want you to succeed. When us old guys chat, we forget how grumpy we can sound in type. 😆. When you get to the point where you wanna build some mean engines( where i am now), Street Ryderz, Greasychris, and a few others ( sorry for not typing handles out, at work) will show you some tips and advice that will make your motors scream like a banshee. Those guys race or were racers, an by god they know these motors like the back of their hands. If they ever give you advice, listen, they are good at what they do. Check out some of their posts, just full of good info.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I don't have a lot of experience with motorized bikes, only some. Most of my knowledge comes from working on car engines and mechanical engineering studies

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I don't have a lot of experience with motorized bikes, only some. Most of my knowledge comes from working on car engines and mechanical engineering studies
Most mine comes from the pits and dirt bikes when I was a kid. I never raced, my dad wouldn't let me, but I had a bunch of buddies that did. Then we got older into the teen years and their dads would let us be tool boys in the stock car races and dirt tracks. They taught us a lot. Then I went on to build some bad arse cars and trucks. I have a limited knowledge of the 2 stroke, but getting better at it every day. The god of the 2 smokes and the guys here have added quite a bit to my understanding of these engines. For being so simple, they are very complex machines to get right. I can build some pretty good engines, but nothing like what the racer guys here can do. I'm learning and reading and experimenting with what I gain here though. One day I hope to race these guys and hang with them. The only way to get better, hang with the guys that are better at whatever it is you are doing. They may beat you in a race, their bikes may stomp yours, but it's the best way to find out where you lack in my eyes. I thought I had built a fast bike, some of these guys build single speeds that would whoop my 5 speed. Never stop learning, you start dying the day you stop learning.

Maybe not a fortune, but a jug and rings at least. Lol. There are guys on here with a lot more knowledge than me. I just like to pay it forward, they helped me get mine right so I pass what they taught me on. Some really intelligent guys in this forum. You'll meet them all as time goes by. Just remember if some of them sound a little snippy, they really aren't, they just want you to succeed. When us old guys chat, we forget how grumpy we can sound in type. 😆. When you get to the point where you wanna build some mean engines( where i am now), Street Ryderz, Greasychris, and a few others ( sorry for not typing handles out, at work) will show you some tips and advice that will make your motors scream like a banshee. Those guys race or were racers, an by god they know these motors like the back of their hands. If they ever give you advice, listen, they are good at what they do. Check out some of their posts, just full of good info.
I appreciate any time given, whether it be good or snippy lol. I'm definitely new to this hobby, but I've been reading the posts on this forum for a few years now and started tinkering with these just as something fun to do, and learning about the 2 smokes along the way. I'm still young enough to enjoy speed and power but I'm getting to the point where I want dependability just the same. Honestly I'm a fan of yours and the others you mentioned so to be getting any advice at all is an honor. I will keep what you said in mind as I continue my journey and hopefully one day I can pass forward what you passed on to me.

Back