Do Motoredbikes belong on bike paths?

Should Motoredbicyclists ride on Bile Paths

• Total voters
R

recumbentbill

Do Motoredbikes belong on bike paths? My answer is NO and bike paths and rails to trails posted signs agree with a stiff fine to people that ride a motorized vehicle on the paths. I like to ride my motored bicycle and i like to ride my regular human powered bikes too. I do not like to encounter motorized gopeds, bicycles, go karts, scooters etc etc while riding my human powered bike on a bike path. Its bad enough having the Lance Armstrong wanna be's blasting past at 22 mph with no regard for walkers, runners and bike commuters like my self. And its even worse to have a motored bicycle zoom past faster than the Lance bikers. Motoered bicycles belong on the street not bike paths. I will now put on my bullet proof vest and my flame proof shirt and pants plus my helmet:p

I agree with you, particularly with gas powered machines. No way, don't want them on the dedicated paths. Electrics under 20 mph however should be permitted, as it still fosters the bicycle commuting lifestyle without forcing people to sacrifice themselves to the same degree of effort.

Unfortunately even electrics aren't legal on the paths here at any speed, which is pretty unfortunate considering the length of the paths cutting right through middle of the highest traffic areas. Even so, at modest speeds if one is pedalling along, how would anybody know the difference? ;)

well if we have no choice its best that we are on the paths tell me this how much of the time is any one on a human power bike even on the path and how much more are you people on a motorized bike then you are on a human power bike

but if a speed is at 30 or 35 then yes stay off the path but when the speed is faster for the sake of every one stay on the path cars just dont care who you are when you are on the road

Well this is in regard to the paths apart from the roads through parks and greenways etc. I don't think there should be a limitation beyond speed on the street side paths.

I simply don't want a bunch of noisy gas burners blazing around while trying to take a relaxing family ride along the river paths.

I would say no gas powered bikes on bike paths made with recreation in mind. I'm not so sure about it if the path is more of a commuter route. I would allow electric for disabled people on all paths. Bottom line: ALL roads should have bike lanes, and that's where MotoredBikes belong.

I ride no faster than 15 mph on the trails. No way can I do that sharing with cars.
MotoredBikes are NOT mopeds. They are BICYCLES with HELPER ENGINES!!
When you run consistent 30 mph on your motoredbike,then you got yourself a moped,son.
I will NOT get killed sharing the road with soccer moms and drunks when I can stay out of their way. Cops haven't bothered me thus far anyway.
I won't ride my bike with engine when I'm actually in a park. That's a whole different story. But a bike path with a destination? You bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a fine here in sydney too ride any bike on footpath .unless age is under 16.

It' so tempting since most of the trails and paths seem empty, but they do provide a safe and traffic free environment for dog walkers and families on a stroll with a small kid learning to balance and swerving all over the path on his little bike.
I agree with Van, dedicated bike lanes on the streets with highly visible signs and markings to let the cagers know we have a right to be there.
Plus it's fun chatting with cagers at stop lights.

In my opinion, it depends on where you're talking about. Living in Monterey, California, the bike path is packed on weekends and evenings. It also ramps up in the summer time. However, it's pretty much dead away from Monterey, and it's in these parts that it would be more appropriate. They are specifically banned, but I do see electric riders, which annoys me.

--John

Back