Do Motoredbikes belong on bike paths?

Should Motoredbicyclists ride on Bile Paths

• Total voters
It's ok as long as you're just peddling...

I don't have any problem with it as long as you're just peddling. I haven't gotten bike yet, but it would be nice to have a bit of peace and quiet on the bike path (also as a way around traffic jams). So I voted "yes".

As far as operating engine - no way! Slow electrics may be ok, but not gas-burners. I ride a regular bike on the Amherst/Noho path (MA) and certainly empathize with those who don't want loud engine bikes running them off the path.

The Future

Is Ours!:p

Attachments

• carlane 2.jpg
    carlane 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 185
I ride my electric trike on all the bike paths, no one as of yet has complained. I bet if it had a gas engine the fat farmers , going out for there once a week walk would *****. my electric will run 35 mph plus but on the bike paths i run 25 -30 when there is no one out there. when there is people i slow down to under 20. I always get the thumbs up from people or , boy thats what i need. lol I cant ride a two wheeler because of a balance problem i have.

I do know i would not run the trail with a gas engine because # 1 it would be a good fine and # 2 gas is just to darn loud. for me anyways

I'm not gonna get stopped on the trails. Cops have just waved at me. Why?
Because I'm not speeding down the trail,yo. And bicyclists actually pass me.
I actually LOOK like a man that needs his engine. So I don't get bothered.
I know some $%^&^*% could call me in and that day may happen.
But until then,I'll keep respecting everyone on the trails,thank you and only take the trails when there's no other safe way to get from point A to point B.
How can I be a threat when I'm riding the same or even slower than the average bicyclist?
How am I a threat?
Yesterday,a good 'ol boy had his horse and saw me up ahead. He seen that I had seen him to and I IMMEDIATELY shut my engine off knowing I may startle his horse. As I passed him he gave me a big THANK YOU and I greeted him back.
It's the other fools that ruin it for the rest of us.
Believe me. If I think I am fit enough to go the whole way to Cherry Creek without engine,then there I am.
But until then,only 1% give me the dirty look.
Even promoters on Colorado's Bike To Work day was all nice to me encouraging my riding down the trails knowing FULL WELL the laws. Give it some time. We WILL SHINE.
Give it some time and keep speeds down on the trails.
Never try to pass people unless you can do so rather slowly.

As someone who rides a non-motorized bike and jogs with his dogs on the Silver Comet rails-to-trail, and is considering motorizing a Schwinn beach cruiser, I really don't want gasoline powered motorbikes on the trail.

http://silvercomet.tripod.com/

As cool as they are, gasoline powered bikes are too loud, go too fast, and destroy the tranquility of the place. I don't mind electric motorized bicycles if they can't get over 20mph or so, since I can go faster than that on my human powered bike. As someone else said the spandex (and yes I wear it too) clad lance wannabes who insist on cutting between people are dangerous enough. On the other hand, I agree that road builders should be required to build roads with a place on the side for motor bikes. When I graduated from college in 1973, I said that if I could vote tomorrow to outlaw fricken cars in the inner city (unless they had a delivery permit) I would. I still feel that way. For now, I would just be happy if Georgia politicians would get their heads out of their azzes and allow 49cc motor assisted bikes to not be classed as mopeds.

Last edited:
Believe me you wouldn't mind if I passed you on the trails. My engine would be OFF and even if it isn't it's rather quiet as it is and I'll probably go by you no faster than 10 mph no kidding.
A Lance Armstrong flying by you at speeds would be more irritating to you I'll guarantee that.
Cops will stop reckless motoredbikers on the trails. I'm all for that.

Do Motoredbikes belong on bike paths? My answer is NO and bike paths and rails to trails posted signs agree with a stiff fine to people that ride a motorized vehicle on the paths. I like to ride my motored bicycle and i like to ride my regular human powered bikes too. I do not like to encounter motorized gopeds, bicycles, go karts, scooters etc etc while riding my human powered bike on a bike path. Its bad enough having the Lance Armstrong wanna be's blasting past at 22 mph with no regard for walkers, runners and bike commuters like my self. And its even worse to have a motored bicycle zoom past faster than the Lance bikers. Motoered bicycles belong on the street not bike paths. I will now put on my bullet proof vest and my flame proof shirt and pants plus my helmet:p

in AZ bike paths are a lane on the road and roads by the canal. It would not be possible to avoid them.

I'm occasionally tempted (never do it, though) to use a small stretch of one bike path because the nearby stretch of road is not very safe. It would be nice if we could use them that way. But we all know that there would be too much conflict between the walkers, the MBers and the "lances". So I vote against us on the bike paths.

Wouldn't it be nice, though, if we could blitz all those cable TV channels with all sorts of different public service announcements aimed at all traffic, cagers, lances, walkers, roadies, MBers, etc., that said, in effect "Just treat each other decently and everyone will be much better off"? It might not even take very long for the message to sink in.

I'd be happy to see my tax money spent on such a thing.

Bike paths? What are those?

The only paths that are paved in this town are in the city parks. There is not a single, solitary, designated bicycle lane in the area - not one (except on Barksdale AFB - which is closed to civilian traffic). Very, very few streets have even parking lanes, and where they do, they are full of cars. I've already commented on the red light running, hazardous driving habits here abouts, so I'll say this - when I get my trike built, I'll ride it on the streets (no choice), but where paved paths exist, I intend to use them.

For me, it's legal, being handicapped. Even if it were not, I'd still use them. Remember: "The law is an a**."

Back