Do not motorize

dougsr.874

Local time
1:17 PM
It seems that Schwinn has followed Huffy's lead by welding the rear luggage rack to some of their models...The Schwinn Del-Mar used to me a decent cheap candidate but no more...._The frame will break where it is welded to the frame....same goes for the Huffy's with that feature...I realize these are low quality cheap bikes,,,,but this is below even them...

Last edited:
I'm curious, if the welds holding the luggage rack break, does it affect the whole frame?

Doesn't matter a crack anywhere on the frame is a disaster waiting to happen. Where those cracks can occur in OPs post is a critical area.

Thanks, OP, for the heads-up.

This is a shame. But it doesn't have to be a deal breaker; folks will just have to reinforce. Shouldn't be all that hard.

Thanks, OP, for the heads-up.

This is a shame. But it doesn't have to be a deal breaker; folks will just have to reinforce. Shouldn't be all that hard.
The way I see it most any $100 bike you get from Wallmart/K-Mart/Target is a toy not even designed to operate for more than a year two with just human power let alone engine power.

The main reason I simply won't build on 'toy' bikes is usually not even the frame, it is the crap back coaster brake hubs that self destruct in short order.

An extra $50-$100 for a solid bike meant to last like a Macargi that skips the glitz and makes a good bike is all I will build on short of an old school rebuild of course.

There is a line between a cheap build and just too cheap if you want something for reliable transportation and not just a toy.

I do think welding the cargo rack to the frame is a good idea to eliminate pesky rattles and the need to tighten bolts. It just makes the bike less desirable for motorizers.

Back