Do reeds Fail?

INTP_ty

Local time
6:42 PM
Hey gang

I want to put together a winter bike. I am looking at Reeds because they will give me more power, but this will be just another thing to/can fail. The winters here aren’t 30 degrees like they are in Denver.

What are your thoughts?

@ also, I cracked a crankcase because I tightened the studs down too tight. I know the castings on these kits are garbage So I was looking at “CNC” ones, but they are only case reed -Does anyone make an ordinary one? Or can I just tap off the case reed with a cover?

Similar question concerning the cylinder. Mind your intake & exhaust, for if you tighten them down too tight, the cylinder will give way & crumble in your hand. Some stihl (maybe all?) cylinders are used on these kits, but they are all fancy ones. Can I throw a stihl jug on an ordinary HT engine?

Engine will either be the advanced race ready from Matt or his Case reed.

I’d rather have a 3 hp motor that I can ride VS a 4-4.5 hp motor that’s going to fail.

Hey gang

I want to put together a winter bike. I am looking at Reeds because they will give me more power, but this will be just another thing to/can fail. The winters here aren’t 30 degrees like they are in Denver.

What are your thoughts?

@ also, I cracked a crankcase because I tightened the studs down too tight. I know the castings on these kits are garbage So I was looking at “CNC” ones, but they are only case reed -Does anyone make an ordinary one? Or can I just tap off the case reed with a cover?

Similar question concerning the cylinder. Mind your intake & exhaust, for if you tighten them down too tight, the cylinder will give way & crumble in your hand. Some stihl (maybe all?) cylinders are used on these kits, but they are all fancy ones. Can I throw a stihl jug on an ordinary HT engine?

Engine will either be the advanced race ready from Matt or his Case reed.

I’d rather have a 3 hp motor that I can ride VS a 4-4.5 hp motor that’s going to fail.
First reeds don't make more power anywhere it's been proven on the dyno, what they do help with is bottom end throttle response. Sthil or Minirelli cylinders unfortunately don't just bolt on ether they require the bolt pattern to be re done along with cutting the base or adding a spacer and various other things to do it right is not an easy task.
I've said it before and will again making 5-6 hp from these engines is quite easy and still in the area of being reliable (when done right) and last for years.

I know I'm just up the interstate from you my man and reeds work pretty great all the way to -10 and as cold as you want to go outside.

I know I'm just up the interstate from you my man and reeds work pretty great all the way to -10 and as cold as you want to go outside.

Are they brittle? The MN river freezes pretty good around New Ulm So I’ll do most of my riding on there. I don’t know the river up here.

No actualy if you pay attention to what he said the 1hp came from the bigger carb!

I thought that was a given when I says

“Reeds”

Or do you mean to say adding a larger carb will yield 1 hp because If that were correct, it’s be a go-to mid, but it’s not.

***fixed

Oh okay.

I thought that was a given when I says

“Reeds”

Or do you mean to say adding a larger carb will yield 1 hp because If that were correct, it’s be a go-to mid, but it’s not.

***fixed

Oh okay.
More fuel is always more power! a bigger carb to insure max cylinder fill will always make more power! and then if your ports are able to match the max flow rate of the engine than you get all she has to give reeds don't help that equation anywhere as they actually restrict some flow at the topend.

More fuel is always more power! a bigger carb to insure max cylinder fill will always make more power! and then if your ports are able to match the max flow rate of the engine than you get all she has to give reeds don't help that equation anywhere as they actually restrict some flow at the topend.

But what about the fact that there was an existing expansion chamber? Are you sure there’s not a limit to fuel input given some variable (say stock pipe)

I could use some help with equation as I had been cited for no brake light at 11:29 or as I would like to say, Passing torches at high noon. How is it that I feel so inclined to rewrite rules of Principia when Einstein had already written his treatise or what have you on motion.

The calculus is all wrong! (0+11.29). This limit does not satisfy, anything!

Sorry, back to bikes

Back