Doctor Says No More Riding Bikes

Follow the Doctors orders.
You will have years of riding AFTER your done growing.
I think the best post was to build them in the mean time. Good luck young man!

A

Hogwash. The OP's Osgood-Schlatter disease results from the pull of the large powerful muscles in the front of the thigh (called the quadriceps). The quadriceps join with the patellar tendons, which run through the knee and into the tibia, to connect the muscles to the knee. When the quadriceps contract, the patellar tendons can start to pull away from the shin bone, causing pain.

Limit the use of these muscles by limiting PHYSICAL activities such as running, jumping or going up or down stairs and you'll be ok. The key is that if riding a motorized bike caused you no pain, then you are ok and your condition should eventually resolve.

As for raw milk some previous poster suggested, that is bunk and has nothing to do with this condition. What are human's doing drinking cow's milk that is loaded with cow antibodies?

Skeletal bone grows in two ways, typically. During maturational growth the bones lengthen from the ends, with conversion of cartiligenous cell layers to bony cells, and new cartilage forming over the face of the synovial interstices - the internal fuild filled space in the joint. In addition, bones thicken at the same time to help support greater body mass.

What you are describing is "growing pains", and they can be pretty darned painful, and if you aren't careful can permanently damage the cartilage in the joints (espcially the knees and ankles) and ligament attachment points from repetitive and excessive physical loading which compresses the cartilage or over-stretches the ligaments. In addition, while the bones are growing actively, the attachment points for ligaments from muscles can be weakened as the bone to which they attach is covered by a very thin layer of actively growing bone cells that have not completed calcification.

So, lots of metabolizable calcium in the diet, be sure you are getting adequate protien, take vitamins, and avoid repetitive stress injury to your joints. Honestly, it goes with the territory of being a well-fed teenage boy - half or more will experience at least brief bouts.

i have got something like that in my ankles, well my tissue died so both of my bones in my ankle fell out of place. So now one bone in each foot sticks out of my foot near my ankle. The doctor said no extreme sports for a year but this isn't a extreme sport so i'm right.

Thanks Good Luck

raw milk is not bunk ... pasturized milk is bunk ...

ask anybody who uses raw milk and they will undoubtedly cite various health benefits... don't believe me, just google it ... Raw Milk, like motored bikes, are good for society. Raw milk link And lets face it, a perfectly healthy society isn't exactly great news for the medical industry... nor is $100 200mpg bike engines getting on the road scott free.. good news for transportation industry competitors...

Last edited:
Poor kid, now he's getting medical advice on wrenching forum.

Sheesh, stick to recommending oil.

Kid, listen to your primary care physicians.

so i came back from the doctor in a very bad mood.
turns out i have some disease in my knees called osgood slatter disease:confused:
since im 13 and im getting older and im growing rapidly now that the tisue in my knee cant keep up with the growth of my bone.

doctor says i cant ride my bike for maby 3 years untill im 16!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

im 16 and have osgood slaughter (i am also at a loss at how the spell it correctly) in my left knee

hasent stopped me yet...i mountain bike on a regular basis, on some pretty difficult trails (ever try riding red double diamond rated trails at markham park (if your from south florida))....i mean you might have it worse than i do; i dont even notice it that much, until i bump my knee on something or run for a few minutes, then i begin to feel some pain in my knee....but if i remeber right, i once read that riding a bike is probably one of the better things you can do for knee therapy...although i wouldnt suggest bashing the pedals....but im sure it would help in some way....keeps you moving your knees around withing putting them under as much stress and jogging or running...

Back