Does an original Whizzer tank have value?

upful living

Local time
1:48 PM
Hi guys,
So this may be total blasphemy to ask within the Whizzer forum. But I am looking to paint over the original paint of a Whizzer tank. It isn't in the best shape ever, but it still has nice enough logos and such on it. I found one on Ebay for $50 which is a little more than I paid for it. So I thought I would see what you guys think. I am not looking to sell it. I just want to know if it is a horrible idea to paint it. If you want pictures I have some here.

Thanks for the input.

Tim
Upful living

Hi Tim,

The tank in original condition is worth approx. $100.00. If you repaint it the original silver [pewter] and install the correct decals it is worth approx. $150.00 to $175.00. The correct paint to use is Dupli-Color DS-FM199, this is 1981 Ford Light Pewter.

The embossed tank is worth more, but is maroon [Plasti-Kote #FM8122, Ford midnight canyon red]. I have paid as much as $250.00 for a correctly painted tank.

Hope this answers your questions.
Have fun,

Original paint tank

Repaints are a dime a dozen, whereas there is only one factory paint job. The original tank pictured would be a very nice touch on a vintage original paint bike with typical patina. A repaint would be out of place on such a bike. Depends what you have planned - "new and shiny" or creation of a vintage patina bike.

Hi WZ507,

I take as many repaints as I can get at "a dime a dozen", LOL...

All but one of my vintage Whizzers are restored, and just didn't think much of the un-restored idea. A big supporter of the "let time make it mark" is Terry McAllister, and I remember wanting to buff the gas stains off his tank, but was soon cautioned to forget any such idea. After a while I kinda liked the idea of owning a Whizzer, as it would look 60 years later. I will include my 1948 un-restored Schwinn at the bottom of this post. Under the fenders is the nicest maroon color, however the top of the fenders look brown [rusty color], I did rebuild the motor [with NOS parts], but used 99% of the original parts
on the Schwinn, including the spokes, rims, hubs, pedal crank, fenders, goose neck, bearings, seat [original, but re-covered], nuts, bolts, etc. Riding the '48 is just different than all the rest of my collection, in fact I rode it to "Bike Week" [local] last year, and they asked me to add it to the Whizzers I already had displayed. While it didn't win first place in the show [3 rd], it always managed to draw a large crowd.

I now understand "It is original only once", and would never consider re-storing my '48.

Have fun,

Attachments

• Original48.jpg
    Original48.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
Hi Jay,

I heard a rumor someone in PA found one just like it. It even had the "J" motor, Whizzer twist controls, and the same Ivory paint. I will have to agree with you, it sure looks nice.

Have fun,

Back