Does anyone know what this kind of suspension is called?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Waincat, Nov 28, 2012.

  1. Waincat

    Waincat New Member


    Does anyone know what kind of suspension this is on the front wheel?
    It looks like something that could be home made with relative ease (I'm guessing!).
    Has anyone else attempted to use suspension like this or similar?


  2. Ludwig II

    Ludwig II Member

    That's a Raleigh or Mobylette (most Raleighs were Mobylettes under licence). It's a leading link type fork with rubber in tension as the springing medium. I never saw one that didn't look saggy and tired. And would you trust your life to a biodegradable spring? Tension springs would be ok if you could sort out the damping.
  3. Waincat

    Waincat New Member

    No, I certainly wouldn't! I had assumed there was a piece of bendy metal or even a steel spring hidden under that mudguard, I'd never have guessed it was rubber.

    Perhaps something similar could be made using steel springs?
  4. Ludwig II

    Ludwig II Member

    Undoubtedly, but you'd have to factor in some rebound damping or you'd go down the road like a mad pogo stick.
  5. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    Big Boy Cycles use an elastomer material on their bikes suspension.
    I haven't ridden one yet, but they seem to work very well on the
    street and the track.

    Phil 008s.jpg
  6. Ludwig II

    Ludwig II Member

    That's rubber in compression, and I'd like that on bicycles better than telescopic forks. The tension sort though, no thanks.