Chains does anyone use the chain guard that comes with the bike

am using one but second bike i put together had the guard just fall appart on the rearly week front mount.so i made a cussioner out of a couple of rubber washers.still broke of due to lack of strengh.

I got about 300 miles out of the original chain guard then the front attachment broke . I repaired it by soldering a steel washer around the attaching point . About 50 miles later the guard broke about 1/4" away from my repair . I made a new one of the same design out of much thicker cold rolled steel and also installed a cushioning piece of rubber at the rear mount . I Have traveled over 600 miles with the new guard with no problems and no more rattles either . .....D.J.

P.S. I have the keys to the metal shop :) .

70_chain_guard_1.jpg

D.J. said:
P.S. I have the keys to the metal shop :) .

so cool.... I have friends in the metal fab shop where I work. The company doesn't mind if you build things there...off the clock, of course.
and pay for the metal. you can hang your stuff on the paint line & get it powdercoated too. not a big choice of colors. black-red-green. black works :LOL:

That new guard looks great. You could use a beadroller and put some stiffening ribs in that new guard. I'd like to make one that looked more like the old balloon tire bike guards.

Thanks guys . we do have a bead roller at work . This guard is so thick that you don't need the beads . I like the smooth look too . I can't seem to take a good picture of the all black guard . I would like to match the guard on the other side but it is a tough one to copy . It is meant to look like a muscle car side panel . The bike is a mid 60's CCM .....D.J.

70_minieyes_1.jpg

if I install, how?

I know this is an old post, but I'm new.

Supposing I want to install. Got a new one to put on used engine. So not sure how. Do I use the a longer bolt to go through the cover and attach to the back of the chain cover under the clutch lever? Seems a bit deep and close to the chain for inevitable failure or worse get caught up in the path of the chain!

Any help or link would be great!

Thanks,

Les

Chain gaurd? That's the thing laying in my shed somewhere! I don't actually use one so I can't tell you how to fit it.

Back