Does everyone use happytime engines!

dirtbikemike2435

Local time
6:53 PM
I have been looking at a lot of bikes and it seems that all of the chain driven are HT engines...are they that good:confused:

Yes, you've just got to get lined with drive sprocket. It will be a test first few hundred miles. See, they stretch quite a bit. After that, they are very reliable.

Glen:)

I have been looking at a lot of bikes and it seems that all of the chain driven are HT engines...are they that good:confused:

Not all bikes use HT engines. One of the main reasons for their popularity is that they're cheap. Reliability is a main factor.

I run Japanese weedwhacker-style engines, which are noted for their dependability.

HECK NO ! Some of us like dependability and use Japanese engines. I like the motorcycle look as much as anybody, but I choose dependability over looks. I use Honda.

yea i would like to use a weed wacker but their just so loud and annoying, plus i cant find any outta the trash that work! im trying to spend the least of money...but we'll see how that goes :whistle:

I’m using a Honda GX35 (35cc) 4 stroke. I have also used a Chinese 50cc 2 stroke from a Harbor Freight auger. I’m sure the Honda is a better engine and will out last the Chinese engine hands down, but I like the power of the 50cc engine way more than the Honda. Only about ½ horsepower difference, but that alone makes a big difference in these little, low powered engines. Polk 5-7 for more info about what he uses. He said he uses weed whacker engines, but they’re also Mitsubishis or Tanaka close to 50cc if I‘m correct. My Honda is also used on weed trimmers, but it or the Mitsubishis are not typical Chinese made engines. Check you local state laws and go with the biggest engine they allow. You’ll be glad in the long run. Honda, Mitsubishi, Tanaka and Robin/Subaru all have excellent ratings.

HT is chinese engines...but i would definatly get a honda but im trying to stay cheap here sooo....

What exactly do you want it for? Something that is fun to tinker with that has a somewhat classic look? Something that is reliable and will get you where you need to go with very little trouble and still have the frame mount look? Something that is very reliable and easy to maintain? Something extremely quiet and not likely to attract any attention?

The answers to each of the questions results in a different setup. (IMO)

The Chinese 2 strokes are fun, but for reliable transportation I would look elsewhere. There is a false economy with them. Pretty soon you will have spent the same as if you got a more reliable kit. (I will still buy them.....for me the tinkering is half of the enjoyment of the bike, and I have company provided transportation so I do not depend on it.)

Back