Does the kill switch hurt the magneto?

intrepid

Local time
5:19 AM
I read somewhere that every time I use the kill switch, the magneto is harmed. is this true?

Idk, getting all this from some youtube comment
no, thats just pure BS.

if that was the case, engines wouldn't have killswitches AT ALL.
a kill switch justs transfers the electricity from the cdi to a ground.

Shorting the magneto does work if their is very little resistance.

But current draw is based on load resistance, any increase in resistance will increase current and in turn heat.
This heat builds up at the top of your coil and burns the insulation within a few inch's of the start of the blue wire.

The reason a diode is placed is to shunt half the voltage on the negative half thus preventing current and provides a constant dissipation on the positive half. Nearly everything with a coil needs to be shunted in one form or anther in electronics for stability reasons.

Here is one example circuit specific to our engine and their are plenty another examples on the internet.
Hate to break it to you but I understood like 5 total words you said there. I guess I'm not much of an electricity guy

The kill switch does work until it gets old (Corrosion) and then it will have the tenancy to burn out coils.
A simple power diode (1n4001/5408) will work and stop the potential for damage from the switch.
Oh, cool

Back