Does this tire look OK?

neilhm

Local time
5:55 AM
Hi,

I just read a story here about a guy's tube blowing out and giving him a rough landing. I think there might have been an issue with the quality of the tire as well. I've only been riding my motorized bike a little while, and haven't done much rough riding (although I've gone over a really potholed parking lot a couple times by the beach.) I have some Shwalbe Big Apple tires and now I think they're starting to look really rough at an alarmingly quick rate. Can I get some more life out of these tires? I haven't had any flats yet so, so far so good. My 49cc engine is running well and I want to take it to work!

edit - the guy who set this up for me recommended filling them to 4o psi, and I've been filling them to around 30. Not sure if that matters in this situation.

Attachments

• FFD5499D-BDEB-4BF7-8904-BDB467A2B0A0.jpeg
    FFD5499D-BDEB-4BF7-8904-BDB467A2B0A0.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DF4D3635-A37B-49E9-987F-BC794F71CE86.jpeg
    DF4D3635-A37B-49E9-987F-BC794F71CE86.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 134
Hi,

I just read a story here about a guy's tube blowing out and giving him a rough landing. I think there might have been an issue with the quality of the tire as well. I've only been riding my motorized bike a little while, and haven't done much rough riding (although I've gone over a really potholed parking lot a couple times by the beach.) I have some Shwalbe Big Apple tires and now I think they're starting to look really rough at an alarmingly quick rate. Can I get some more life out of these tires? I haven't had any flats yet so, so far so good. My 49cc engine is running well and I want to take it to work!
You need to find out what that side wall is rubbing against as evidenced by the second pic you provided.

Thank you. It looks like it passes by the chain guard of the bike chain when properly inflated - but it's close. I wonder if it spreads out when I'm sitting on it, and when it loses some air, and subsequently rubs against the chain guard. Wonder if I should just take it off? Thanks for your help.

Is the tire centered in between both sets of frame tubes, upper and bottom?

I took the chain guard off and it seems like the culprit is one hundred percent this bar that I've highlighted. Sorry, I'm so ignorant that I'm not sure what this is called but the arrows are pointing to it in the picture.
*Edit: any advice on the solution would be much appreciated : ) Narrower tires? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• bike01.jpg
    bike01.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 126
Is your tire rubbing on the pedal drive side? Make sure your wheel is straight. The pull from the engine may bring the left side of the axle forward causing the front of the tire to move right. Idunno, just a shot in the dark!

Back