Does this tire look OK?

Is your tire rubbing on the pedal drive side? Make sure your wheel is straight. The pull from the engine may bring the left side of the axle forward causing the front of the tire to move right. I
That appears to be what's going. It's rubbing on the pedal drive side. The wheel appears straight when just eyeballing it, but the front of the tire is definitely rubbing on the side you've indicated. What would be a good solution, if it's actually the engine pulling it out of alignment? Thanks for the hit of Ozzy by the way!

The tire itself has 28 printed on it, so that's what I was going by. The internet seems to say that Schwalbe is unique in listing their sizes that way. Interesting!

What would be a good solution
If you have a STEEL FRAME, See if you have a spare axle nut as they are about a half inch wide and place it between the rear pedal side sprocket and the drop down...(You will have to hand stretch it out a little bit to fit the wheel back on the bike) and then just tighten the regular axle nut again to hold the wheel on...lol.

Do not attempt this if it is an aluminum frame though as it will either crack immediately or a while down the line.

If unsure of the metal just see if a magnet sticks to the frame, if it does, its steel...lol.

Never seen 28 myself either... I know if I ran a 2" tire I'd be rubbing in many spots.

Bikes are weird I've come to realize, Measure from bottom of tire to top of tire to get the size... Not like automotive where wheel size is different than tire size.

If you have a STEEL FRAME, See if you have a spare axle nut as they are about a half inch wide and place it between the rear pedal side sprocket and the drop down...(You will have to hand stretch it out a little bit to fit the wheel back on the bike) and then just tighten the regular axle nut again to hold the wheel on...lol.

Do not attempt this if it is an aluminum frame though as it will either crack immediately or a while down the line.

If unsure of the metal just see if a magnet sticks to the frame, if it does, its steel...lol.
You guys are awesome, I really appreciate it. It's steel so I'll try your approach. Do you think the tire has some life left after that or should I be concerned that it's been rubbed and worn down so much? Thanks for your time with my little questions here.

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate it. It's steel so I'll try your approach. Do you think the tire has some life left after that or should I be concerned that it's been rubbed and worn down so much? Thanks for your time with my little questions here.
If it were me, I would replace the tire.

If you are concerned just get a new tire and have peace of mind. I'm old so maybe it comes with age. A little money is well worth stress relief.

When I was younger though. Why have peace of mind when there is a world of fun out there!

I suppose it depends how you define younger and older. To each their own. I've definitely been feeling 'older' lately but it's all relative.

I suppose it depends how you define younger and older. To each their own. I've definitely been feeling 'older' lately but it's all relative.
I just turned 67 in June...It ain't "relative" any longer, its down right scary as I slide down the razor blade of life trying not to slit myself with it so i can fart in stereo...lol...lol.

Back