Dogs on a short leash?

Frankenstein

Don't know how many dog owners out there but be careful if you have a small one. I was walking our dog the other day and at one point I hear this lady yelling and a girl screaming no so I turn and see this dog running towards me and specifically my dog. Well I don't believe in those springy retractable dog leashes since they cause more accidents than not so I use a standard 5 foot leash and a harness on him.

Lucky I do, I was able to pull/sorta swing him up and catch him with my other hand. If it was one of those long bungee type leashes or just a plain collar with a plastic clip I wouldn't have been able to do that and who knows what would have happened. When I caught him the other dog jumped up towards him but I cracked it in the back of the head with my hand and it stopped for a moment and then ran back to the owner's house, girl still chasing after it and the connected leash she couldn't hold onto in the first place.

I kept walking then because it was obviously a mistake on their part and since my friend wasn't hurt there was no real need for further conflict. I'm glad it didn't get a hold of him because I honestly would have shot it and I would really hate to have done something like that.. Few things hurt worse than losing a pet.

K

Ken M

Don't know how many dog owners out there but be careful if you have a small one. I was walking our dog the other day and at one point I hear this lady yelling and a girl screaming no so I turn and see this dog running towards me and specifically my dog. Well I don't believe in those springy retractable dog leashes since they cause more accidents than not so I use a standard 5 foot leash and a harness on him.

Lucky I do, I was able to pull/sorta swing him up and catch him with my other hand. If it was one of those long bungee type leashes or just a plain collar with a plastic clip I wouldn't have been able to do that and who knows what would have happened. When I caught him the other dog jumped up towards him but I cracked it in the back of the head with my hand and it stopped for a moment and then ran back to the owner's house, girl still chasing after it and the connected leash she couldn't hold onto in the first place.

I kept walking then because it was obviously a mistake on their part and since my friend wasn't hurt there was no real need for further conflict. I'm glad it didn't get a hold of him because I honestly would have shot it and I would really hate to have done something like that.. Few things hurt worse than losing a pet.
You did a good thing!
Not many people would just walk away and not throw a fit

You are defiantly right about losing a pet!
I cried like a baby when we had to put are last dog to sleep. And I am 65 years old.
It gets harder the older you get!

Keep being a good guy, and keep looking up! Ken.

james65

Was walking along the river bank, with the 6 LB. pup on a leash. Then 2 hawks started diving at it. They only left when I put the pup in my shirt!