Done, but dealing with problem after problem =D

J

JosephGarcia

Ok, so after a whole dang week of riding a normal bicycle to get around (I forgot what a workout that was...) I finally got my brand new frame. A nice '61 schwinn cruiser, Plus a really nice springer fork, becuase I love the way these look. I was looking for better handlebars than the standard cruiser one I have now, but this will do, I thought it would be bigger and more ackward than it is.

I originally wanted to make a nice board track bike, a replica of a kind called "Cyclone", I thought it looked good. It required a whole new gas tank shell and new exhaust, some remodeling of the frame, and a Bigger engine for looks and power. This would have cost way too much and took too much time, many months.

I have settled for copying Boardtrackers old bike (Heard his frame cracked) Not that it looked bad in any way.

So after asking around at so many bikes on craigslist and other sites. I found a guy in my own city who had EVERYTHING I needed. He even had a 50 something Whizzer, Didn't have enough for it, and I didn't get to test ride it, but it was amazing to see.

So $80 later, I have these new parts, tomorrow I will start building the bike itself.

Now for the pics.
904_HPIM0515_1.jpg

904_HPIM0512_1.jpg

There is a rusted seat post that is stuck in the tube, nothing a pipe wrench and sledgehammer can't fix. Also modifying the seat to sit farther back like Boardtrackers bike. The WHOLE bike, including handlebars and front forks, are going to be painted flat black. Pedal thingys going to be gone in favor of foot pegs, sheet metal fairings to cover and large open areas in the frame.

Updates coming tomorrow! I'm confident that this bike is going look good and perform better.

JosephGarcia has asked me to moderate this topic as a "project" thread...on-topic discussion directly with him only, please.

i'll delete this reminder after things get rolling, joe...have fun :)

Nice silhouette.... looks like it might need a replica oil tank (with tools inside ;) ) between the seat post and rear wheel.

I'll be watching this one with interest.

Joseph, that is one good looking bike (I'm too old to say it looks "sick") and I'm looking forward to watching you bring it to life.
Seeing as how CVC 406b says you need pedals will you have to register it as a motorcycle if you take them off?

if you guys haven't figured it... I'm more into bikes than I am motors...

I'm more into things going really fast than bikes or motors and therein lies my interest in motorbikes... but, apart from a nice frame and some sweet forks I have to say... NICE SPOKES! Those wheels look bulletproof!

SpeedyG said:
if you guys haven't figured it... I'm more into bikes than I am motors...

I'm more into things going really fast than bikes or motors and therein lies my interest in motorbikes... but, apart from a nice frame and some sweet forks I have to say... NICE SPOKES! Those wheels look bulletproof!

The rear spokes are thick as hell, like 1/4 in. I swear. Unbendable. I painted the rim black to make the tire(when it's done) appear thicker, kept the spokes silver.

The front wheel is a cheapy alluminium from a huffy bike, but it seems pretty tough and hasn't bent yet.

Joseph, The laws are pretty clear and its my guess your cops haven't really boned up on them. Once you have a bike that attracts a lot of attention, the cops in your area may want to use you as an example especially for any kids that want a bike like yours.

Or if you cruise down to the beach you might get noticed. Here's the Huntington Beach police website that helps me better understand California law* (as if anyone can)
http://www.hbpd.org/traffic_otherveh.htm

*edit: CVC 406 - law regarding 2 wheelers

Looks like the raw material for a nice new build Joe. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Back