Double up your spokes and lace those into your drive sprocket.

SirWilliam

Local time
7:01 PM
I had gotten so many broken spokes on my 29" one day and no luck in finding any to replace them. My wallet was broken too and if I could have only ordered from the Amazon I'd been still bustin' spokes like Krazy.

Soo...not having any 29"s around out in BFE and only some 26" rims, there I went into survival mode. How can I make this work. Well turned out that I could get 26" spokes tied into the rear sprocket if I just drilled some holes into it. The center hole was close enough that I pulled all the driveside spokes out and shot self tappers around the hub. Probably about 12/16. How ever many it was, I had jb weld as a gasket for the new marriage of the two and went to lacing.

Nvr been a spoke person. I learned a lot during the way. Chain would rub so I'd just loosen one side of the spokes and tighten up the side I wanted moved. Making the rim straight was easy actually. There was the first rim. Then I blew out the bearings and didn't have any but sealed bearings that would fit the cups if I just filled the small gaps with some more jb weld. That all worked great too. Good thing cause I was about to go pull a shopping cart swivel off and use those bearings. Wait tmi.

Anyways thought I'd share this different way of dealing with broken spokes and sprocket issues. It works for me quite well. I'm on my second rim now and found a very nice set of Shimano rims. First thing was first...grabbed my drill and went aigh that looks good. Drilled the accordingly size hole in-between each spoke, ultimately doubling up except for that one when it landed on the valve stem. Took a concrete finish tool and cut out a disc for the cassette side. It's great steel. Spring steel I think holding nice form.

Anyways took off the cassette set behind it with cut rubber over the original spokes and the same for the other. With the big sprocket and the disc on eachside could be misinterpreted for a electric hub.

I've been stirring up thoughts on this 20"-21" stainless steel solid disc hubcap I'd found a while back and yeap . Just gonna need some really short spokes from a kids 12" bike I think. It's still brewing in my mind.

If you made this far, something else I haven't been able to find, is it possible to run a electric hub for back up on your gas bike for when it wanted to take a union mandated break and left ya pedaling ?

If you made this far, something else I haven't been able to find, is it possible to run a electric hub for back up on your gas bike for when it wanted to take a union mandated break and left ya pedaling ?
I didn't see the picture.

A mid-drive electric would make an excellent emerge FD, replace crank with roller. The battery and all can go on a rear rack.

Back